newb to freshwater and planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You'll want to pick up some Excel also unless you're going to use Co2. For plants stick to low light stuff like crypts, java fern, anubias, etc.
You can add a power head to the tank but make sure it doesn't disturbed the surface because that will vent the Co2 out of the tank, I wouldn't use it personally.
Also you'll want to start the cycle with plants because the plants will absorb nutrients from the cycle.
There's tons of people out there that are running a low light tank exactly what you're going to do and have great success. Just dose Flourish and Excel, and use root tabs. You can find 8k bulbs if you look, I think I found mine at Menards.
In my 10 gallon I have 5 Celestial Pearl Danios, 2 Ottos, cherry shrimp, Amano shrimp, rabbit snails, and 3 horned nerite snails.

I ordered the fluval co2 injection kit.

So 26 watts 6500k spiral compact florescent in a 10 gallon is low light? It is 2.6 wpg which from what I've been reading is the med-high range.

I ordered the fluval co2 injection kit.

So 26 watts 6500k spiral compact florescent in a 10 gallon is low light? It is 2.6 wpg which from what I've been reading is the med-high range.

Just like any other light, reflectors have a big part of your lighting. If you notice your hood doesn't have much of a reflector.

You may want to return that Fluval Co2 set and get a pressurized system. Those Fluval Co2 canisters will only last 2-3 weeks and you can only use there specific cartridge because they're threaded. It will be cheaper investment up front, but in the long run a pressurized system will be cheaper.
I use a Green Leaf Aquariums regulator on a paintball tank and the tank lasts me 5 months and it's about $4 to fill. Also that kit doesn't have a solenoid, so if you want the Co2 off at night you'll have to shut it off manually and turn it on manually every day.

You'll want to pick up some Excel also unless you're going to use Co2. For plants stick to low light stuff like crypts, java fern, anubias, etc.
You can add a power head to the tank but make sure it doesn't disturbed the surface because that will vent the Co2 out of the tank, I wouldn't use it personally...

I can understand how surface agitation, bio wheels, and wet dry filters would remove injected CO2, but if you used Excel or glutaraldehyde does the same rule still apply? Are the liquid forms of carbon used by plants as is or are try converted into CO2?

I can understand how surface agitation, bio wheels, and wet dry filters would remove injected CO2, but if you used Excel or glutaraldehyde does the same rule still apply? Are the liquid forms of carbon used by plants as is or are try converted into CO2?

Liquids remain in the water and doesn't get gassed like Co2.

Yeah.. standard hood no reflector.. didn't think about that.

Anyways this is a gift tank.. not really looking to get too technical with it and have the most amazing rank ever. The manual co2 still be fine.

I'm so proud of this gift. She is talking about wanting a tank as I'm writing this lol. Giving a complete tank set up with all of the accessories is such an awesome gift. I'm very proud of myself!

Yeah.. standard hood no reflector.. didn't think about that.

Anyways this is a gift tank.. not really looking to get too technical with it and have the most amazing rank ever. The manual co2 still be fine.

I'm so proud of this gift. She is talking about wanting a tank as I'm writing this lol. Giving a complete tank set up with all of the accessories is such an awesome gift. I'm very proud of myself!

As long as you stick with low light plants, Flourish, Excel, and root tabs you'll have good luck. There's lots of people who go that route and have had great luck.

Nice, thanks. :)

I've got it all set up and running and the cycle is started. If I put some pants in there tomorrow will they be OK for a week or two until I can set up the co2 system? Or will they die (since there wont be any carbon either)?

Nice, thanks. :)

I've got it all set up and running and the cycle is started. If I put some pants in there tomorrow will they be OK for a week or two until I can set up the co2 system? Or will they die (since there wont be any carbon either)?
Good luck!

The fluorite cloud cleared up after not even a day. Its a tiny bit foggy still but it will clear up.

I'm not a big fan of the look of it. But my mom loves it so thats all that matters.

What do you guys think of replacing the two 13w 6500k cfs with two 26w ones? Too much?

Probably going to get some plants today!

The fluorite cloud cleared up after not even a day. Its a tiny bit foggy still but it will clear up.

I'm not a big fan of the look of it. But my mom loves it so thats all that matters.

What do you guys think of replacing the two 13w 6500k cfs with two 26w ones? Too much?

Probably going to get some plants today!

I don't think there's room for 26w bulbs, if there was they'd probably be to close to the hood and melt it.
Some people use clamp on fixtures like this http://www.menards.com/main/outdoor...8-1-2-deluxe-clamp-light/p-1860961-c-7914.htm and then you could get away using a bigger buib.

You're probably right. What's the highest temperature rating I could get away with? These 6500k bulbs look a bit too yellow, aesthetically speaking.

You can go up to 10K but if you have many tetras or other low light loving fish they will not be happy with such bright light. I had to remove my 3-150w 10000K HID metal halide bulbs and go down to 6000K so my tetras and corys would come out the 6 hours they were on.

I have the fluval co2 diffuser inside the tank. I'm not sure what to do. Which compartment fills with the co2? When I put it in it was filled with air. Then i opened the regulator and it just bubbled out of the bottom. Should it full with water first then open the regulator valve and let some in?

Man this is the longest cycle I've ever done. Been cycling since the 28th and still no nitrites. I've always cycled my Saltwater tanks in a Couple weeks. Can I use Saltwater seeded media to speed this cycle up or are they different bacteria types?

Sorry but you can't use SW media but do you know anyone with a healthy tank? Or a LFS that might give you alittle of their seeded media? I don't use bottled bacteria so can't help you. Some people swear by it and others swear it doesn't do anything.

Man this is the longest cycle I've ever done. Been cycling since the 28th and still no nitrites. I've always cycled my Saltwater tanks in a Couple weeks. Can I use Saltwater seeded media to speed this cycle up or are they different bacteria types?

The cycle can take forever... I'd send you some media if I lived closer! With it getting to 18 degrees at night I don't think the bacteria would survive shipping. There's a place online that sells seeded media... Angels something or other... I'm sure they'd be better at shipping this time of year than I would.

Rummynose tetras are good schooling fish, however I think in a 10gal I'd only put 5. They get about 2inches when full grown. I think you should definitely get a zebra nerite snail or two. :).

These fish are lovely:

http://m.thatpetplace.com/Pseudomugil-gertrudae-gertrudes-blue-eye-rainbowfish-211059

http://watershed3.tripod.com/gertrudae.jpg

Also- adding plants during the cycle is fine. :)

Back
Top Bottom