newb to freshwater and planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Still no nitrites.

I cranked the heater up, took the hood off, and lowered the water level to create more splash and get the water oxygenated.

Added some stability.. bacteria in a bottle. I never thought it helped on my saltwater tanks but I guess it did cuz I've always been cycled or close to it three plus weeks in.

Well see what this does. The waiting game sucks. Thanks for the tips. I'll ask the LFS for some seeded material.

Still no nitrites.

I cranked the heater up, took the hood off, and lowered the water level to create more splash and get the water oxygenated.

Added some stability.. bacteria in a bottle. I never thought it helped on my saltwater tanks but I guess it did cuz I've always been cycled or close to it three plus weeks in.

Well see what this does. The waiting game sucks. Thanks for the tips. I'll ask the LFS for some seeded material.

No nitrites yet seems odd. What's your ammonia source and ammonia level? What's your pH?

My ammonia source is a rotting silverside. About 2ppm ammonia. Haven't tested ph yet. Stopped by the pet store today and got a seeded sponge from one of their filters, so that should help.

Also picked up two plants. They didn't have much of a selection. I got some "guppy grass" which according to google can be a whole variety of plants. Then I got something that sounded like he said "vernactis" but I can't find that on google. Mustve heard him wrong.

Ill post pictures tomorrow.

Actually I have a picture now. Theres two kinds of plants here. The stuff he called guppy grass in the foreground and the other in the background.

Can anyone ID so I can look them up?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130121_221034.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130121_221034.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 59
You're probably right. What's the highest temperature rating I could get away with? These 6500k bulbs look a bit too yellow, aesthetically speaking.

I just bought some CFL that are 6500k and mine aren't yellow looking at all (got them from walmart). The ones I got are 850 lumens.

Actually I have a picture now. Theres two kinds of plants here. The stuff he called guppy grass in the foreground and the other in the background.

Can anyone ID so I can look them up?

The other stuff is maybe anacharis.

You should check your pH. If its too low it could be why the tank isn't cycling faster. 7.4-7.6 is a good range.

I think the other stuff he called guppy grass is naja grass. Should this stuff be planted or left wandering about?

It does look like that!

Wow the ph is 8.1.

8.1 is fine. It shouldn't effect the cycle. My water was 8.3. After it was done cycling and my fish kept dying I figured out how to mix RO and tap to get it to 7.6 and then my fish were fine. You'll want to keep an eye on the pH though. Sometimes when they cycle is going- I can't remember when exactly, but I think it's once you see nitrites the pH can drop way low and you'll have to either do a water change or buffer it with something to bring it back up. It happened to my sister. Every 3 or 4 days the pH would drop to 6.0 and she would do a 50% pwc. The reason you don't want it to drop that low is because it can stall the cycle. Hopefully you'll start seeing nitrites soon!

Yeah hopefully. Can't wait to get some frogs, snails, and fish! My whole family thinks I'm stupid for cycling tanks. They think its not necessary so I always have to explain to them and I don't think they believe me lol.

Yeah hopefully. Can't wait to get some frogs, snails, and fish! My whole family thinks I'm stupid for cycling tanks. They think its not necessary so I always have to explain to them and I don't think they believe me lol.

My family was the same way when I cycled my tanks. And they don't understand why I only have 1 fish in my 10 gal nano reef... Anyway, I'm rootin for ya! Lets go cycle! Lets go!!

Thanks bearchum!

Am interesting twist to this tank and something I've never done before.

My mother, who I'm maintaining this tank for, bought it for, set it up for, etc. Insists that if the light isn't on at night she doesn't want it. She wants to enjoy looking at it while she lays in bed at night. :|

I've had an argument with her about it and she wont budge on it.

I settled on at least letting me use a light timer. She picked the hours for the light to be on from 7 pm to 5 am.

I got her to agree to cover it up during the daytime so ambient light wont be much of a factor.

Is this even possible?

I dot see why not. You might want to push back the start time to reduce the overall hours.
Another suggestion would be an LED moonlight setup in the evenings.

My family was the same way when I cycled my tanks. And they don't understand why I only have 1 fish in my 10 gal nano reef... Anyway, I'm rootin for ya! Lets go cycle! Lets go!!

We don't discuss that "aquarium stuff" at home. Draws an immediate eye roll from two teenage boys and wife. That's why I'm here :)

I dot see why not. You might want to push back the start time to reduce the overall hours.
Another suggestion would be an LED moonlight setup in the evenings.

Great news!

I do have led moonlights. She wants the brights.

We don't discuss that "aquarium stuff" at home. Draws an immediate eye roll from two teenage boys and wife. That's why I'm here :)

My moms bf tells me everytime he sees the rotting silverside that all you have to do is add fish. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom