Newb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silverton

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone! I'm preparing to set up my 30 gallon tank this weekend and thought it'd be a good idea to join here and get some good advice. Actually, the idea wasn't really mine. I was strongly encouraged, even pressured, into joining this community by my sister Bearchumjs. So you have her to blame for all the silly questions I'll no doubt be asking - such as, if my tap water is testing at 1ppm for ammonia, how will this affect my fish-less cycling? Anyways... It's nice to be here where I know I'll have less chance of killing my fish (once I get them).

You have ammonia in your tap water? That's odd. You should use a Brita filter for your drinking water.

Anyway. Welcome to AA! There's tons of great people here and lots of good info. Did you clean your tank yet dear sister? I'm still waiting for pictures...

Don't worry about dumb questions either. The only way you'll learn is by asking! Hooray for fish tanks!!

Yeah, apparently it's from the water being treated... or somesuch. So, I don't think I'll die, but I worry for future fish and water changes... Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome to AA!
1ppm of ammonia in your tap water won't effect your fishless cycle. It will only take 3/4 of the amount of bottled ammonia to bring it up the 4ppm initially.
When you are cycled you will have to do 2 small weekly water changes instead of one large one so you are not introducing too much ammonia to the tank at any one time. You will need a water conditioner such as prime to temporarily convert the ammonia to a less toxic form. Once the prime has worn off the bacteria would have consumed the ammonia leaving nitrate (a lot less toxic to fish).
Happy fish keeping!

Thank you mumma.of.two! I was hoping it wouldn't be too big of a problem. I almost didn't even test since I assumed it would be zero. Glad I did though, or I'm sure I would have spend ages trying to find out what was causing my ammonia levels to fluctuate. Now I just need to get started!

Back
Top Bottom