newbie biocube hqi help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hondanation09

Aquarium Advice Activist
after investigating converting my 15 gallon freshwater into salt I decided to just keep freshwater tank and get a biocube HQI 29 gallon for now.

My question is:

1) from all my research it appears circulation needs to be upgraded. Would I go 2 koralia nanos at either 240 or maybe 420 and 240 or should I go with 1 koralia evolution at 750?

2) I know many suggest MP-10 but really these are expensive!

Thanks all

after investigating converting my 15 gallon freshwater into salt I decided to just keep freshwater tank and get a biocube HQI 29 gallon for now.

My question is:

1) from all my research it appears circulation needs to be upgraded. Would I go 2 koralia nanos at either 240 or maybe 420 and 240 or should I go with 1 koralia evolution at 750?

Thanks all

Well imo a 750 would be too much for the cube, your best bet is probably gonna be 2 450's. The mp10 would be ideal of course but they do have a fat price tag as you said.

Hondanation09 said:

My question is:

Thanks all

Well you said it. If you could 1 mp10 would kick in that tank!! Plus the dry side is where the motor is and that means less heat issues. And your lights are already gonna make some heat.

If you go that mp route I think 2 nano 425's would be fine and you could also upgrade the stock pump which will also create more flow.

I had 2 of the nano 425's but wanted room an less heat so I went with the mp10.

The 750 is pretty big for such a small tank and covers a lot of area also looks outta place IMO.

I had one and it lasted about 5 minutes in my tank, it just too big and I felt it over powered the tank with the look. I felt your eyes were always drawn to this monster power head. Nano's are a lot smaller. And of you do the upgraded pump you'll be fine.

Also the filtration system could use a little tweaking also. Remember good or better filtration will create better flow as well, it's all helping move water which in turn helps flow.

I'm no expert but I hope this helps. I own a BC29 been you for 9 months.

Just so I understand correctly. If 1 went the route of 2 nano 425s then I would need to upgrade the stock pump? Would both 425s connect to same stock pump?

Whats the cheapest you have seen the MP-10 go for? I mean upgrading the stock pump + 2 425s may not be worth it...I think I have seen MP-10 for $249 but a few different models not sure which is best?

So MP-10 would be all I need for circulation and would cut down on heat issues caused by light on HQI?

Just so I understand correctly. If 1 went the route of 2 nano 425s then I would need to upgrade the stock pump? Would both 425s connect to same stock pump?

Whats the cheapest you have seen the MP-10 go for? I mean upgrading the stock pump + 2 425s may not be worth it...I think I have seen MP-10 for $249 but a few different models not sure which is best?

So MP-10 would be all I need for circulation and would cut down on heat issues caused by light on HQI?

Oh yes the MP10 will be more than enough. There are 2 models of MP10 one with the wireless controller and one wireless and they are designated as MP10es (with wires) and MP10wES (wireless).

I only real reason to buy the wireless is if you ever plan to run more than 1. since this is a 29g cube I highly doubt you would ever buy another for this tank. with the wireless they can synch up with eachother if running more than 1 MP10.

I bought my MP10es for about $235 I believe from bulkreefsupply.com. You will not really find them cheaper unless you buy them used on craigslist or ebay, even then you will not likely find a used one for less than $175, they are very in demand on these sites and are snatched up quickly.

Schism said:
Oh yes the MP10 will be more than enough. There are 2 models of MP10 one with the wireless controller and one wireless and they are designated as MP10es (with wires) and MP10wES (wireless).

I only real reason to buy the wireless is if you ever plan to run more than 1. since this is a 29g cube I highly doubt you would ever buy another for this tank. with the wireless they can synch up with eachother if running more than 1 MP10.

I bought my MP10es for about $235 I believe from bulkreefsupply.com. You will not really find them cheaper unless you buy them used on craigslist or ebay, even then you will not likely find a used one for less than $175, they are very in demand on these sites and are snatched up quickly.

^^^ this ^^^

Also your not connecting the power heads to the pump. The pump is in your tank chamber 3. The aftermarket one just has alittle more ow rating so it will add in filtration an flow.

An Schism pretty much hit everything else.

I just set up my Biocube 29HQI and love it! I switched out the stock pump for a maxi jet 1200, put a heater, 2 koralia 425's, and will be adding an Intank media basket soon. Also I bought some r2 moonlight off of amazon and they would great. You can check out my thread called first nano tank to get an idea of what one looks like fully set up. I have also not had a problem with overheating issues either so that's a plus.

Can stock pump power 2 koralia 425s? Or is it that underpowered?

Think I am getting confused...is the stock pump for intake only? Therefore 2 koralia's 425s don't plug into anything but the wall for power...is that correct?

How many plugs will this tank generate?

Hondanation09 said:
Can stock pump power 2 koralia 425s? Or is it that underpowered?

Think I am getting confused...is the stock pump for intake only? Therefore 2 koralia's 425s don't plug into anything but the wall for power...is that correct?

How many plugs will this tank generate?

Correct. The power heads plug into your outlet and the pump is separate. Thy would be 3 plugs. You could get the Hydor smart wave. I had it and had the power heads alternate every 30 minutes. It's was a nice equipment addition.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Hydor_Ko...or_Aquariums-Hydor_USA-HD00924-FIWMEW-vi.html

This will also cut down on how many plugs will plug into your outlet. The power heads plugs into the smartwave and the smartwave plugs into your outlet. Either way your gonna need a surge protector.

The pump is completely separated from the power heads. The pump is was draws water outta the display tank, through the media filtration and back into the display tank.

Are you running a skimmer? That will be another plug. IME your not gonna need one of our religious with your weekly water changes.

Anymore questions feel free!!

It's a awesome tank IMO.

image-1914010635.jpg

image-1668846758.jpg

image-1712422356.jpg

Thanks all

Ill ask one more time to make sure. Lfs is saying 2 koralia 425s on the biocube 29 is way over the top and suggested only 2 oceanic biocube 250s or 2 koralia 240s.

This is what they are offering me:

Biocube HQI 29 gallon
Biocube stand
2 biocubes 250 or 2 koralia 240s

= 608.98 canadian plus tax

Seem good?

Hondanation09 said:
Thanks all

Ill ask one more time to make sure. Lfs is saying 2 koralia 425s on the biocube 29 is way over the top and suggested only 2 oceanic biocube 250s or 2 koralia 240s.

This is what they are offering me:

Biocube HQI 29 gallon
Biocube stand
2 biocubes 250 or 2 koralia 240s

= 608.98 canadian plus tax

Seem good?

In my opinion and experience with my bio cube. Your better off with the 2 425's. I had that running on mine and the upgraded pump. I have a feeling your gonna end up not satisfied with the flow from the 240's. This JMO and I have a BC and wasn't happy at all with the 240's. I sold one and kept one to help circulate the water when water change time comes.

Again if you could the mp10 would be killer. I know there expensive but nothing good is cheap on this hobby. eBay will be your best friend on the hobby. That or craigslist.

From a quick goggle the BC29 HQI and stand of say is a good price. Most are selling for 420.00 and up. The Koralia 240's are cheap. The 240's ate about 25 bucks each(that's from a site)

So the price doesn't seem all that bad. I would strongly suggest doing more research and asking around. I honestly don't think our gonna be happy with the flow, I have no ties with any company.Some corals need high flow. I'm not sure I that's gonna do it for you. Again I'm no pro by any means but I would look further into it. Flow is very important and I was extremely unhappy with the 240's it really didn't move much at all.

Forget the numbers they give you and gph I feel it's more of a round about guess. Then an actual number.

Again this is just from what I've been through with my own BC.

Also your gonna need a heater.

ok...rethinking to maybe try and get mp-10. for heater does it go in chamber? wouldnt lamp give off enough heat?

Also what do you think about this: http://www.incredibleaquarium.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43&products_id=2372

if its good how does it work...does it go in stand with a bucket of tap water that it sucks into this unit and then spits out into tank? Confused about this part of setup?

when i get into setup ill ask you more questions.

Hondanation09 said:
ok...rethinking to maybe try and get mp-10. for heater does it go in chamber? wouldnt lamp give off enough heat?

Also what do you think about this: http://www.incredibleaquarium.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43&products_id=2372

if its good how does it work...does it go in stand with a bucket of tap water that it sucks into this unit and then spits out into tank? Confused about this part of setup?

Let just start by saying the 425's are not overkill.

As for the lamp giving off enough heat, yes this will probably be the case in the day time, but at night when lights are off you will need the heater to maintain temp.

so 2 425s would get job done but footprint is too big thus mp-10...does that sum it up?

And...could this be a fairly easy system to move in a years time when I get new house? House is 5 minutes away.

Hondanation09 said:

No it hooks up to your water line either by faucet adapter or some other adapter and it process tap into clean water into a bucket for example.

Also please note that the link you provided is just an RO filter not an RO/DI filter. It is missing the DI stage that removes the last of the TDS (total dissolved solids). The RO membrane alone doea not remove everything.

Hondanation09 said:
so 2 425s would get job done but footprint is too big thus mp-10...does that sum it up?

And...could this be a fairly easy system to move in a years time when I get new house? House is 5 minutes away.

Pretty much sums it up. Foot print is not really TOO big however it might annoy you. Cant go wrong with the Mp10 and if you ever get a bigger tank the mp10 will transfer over no problem.

Yes a biocube is pretty easy to move. Ive moved a 20g and 29g by myself and it wasnt too bad. They where not all in one systems either so the biocube should be easier.

If your tank if not near a faucet then your kinda screwed.

can i get by without ro/di system for this size of aquarium?

placing order as we speak and going for MP-10 for Biocube HQI. Just finalizing a few details should I go with:

1) hydrometer instant ocean for $9.99
or
2) refractometer this one the Sybon opticon series FG100sa for $59.99

is refractometer to pricy?

Thanks all for their help thus far in making this a smooth process THUS FAR.

Back
Top Bottom