newbie biocube hqi help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got the jbj 29 hqi as well and I love it! Coming from a 55g freshwater tank this thing is a dream. I do have a korlia 725 in mine and it provides great circulation. It is a bit strong and does move the sand around a bit in one corner but I don't mind. The two 425s would be good. As for the pumps I still use the stock pumps that are plugged into the wave maker which comes with the unit. No probs there. I got mine on sale for $500 at a live fish store which was a steal so I think what you have been quoted is a fair price. Good luck and post pics. :)

Hondanation09 said:
If your tank if not near a faucet then your kinda screwed.

can i get by without ro/di system for this size of aquarium?

No your not screwed. The water does not go from the faucet to your filter and then your tank.

I suggest u look at some rodi unit vids on youtube.

I have the biocube with 2 425's and the wave controller. This is what it will look like

image-2273101964.jpg

You can see the one on the left and one one the right

Was thinking of 15lbs key largo rock, and 15 lbs Indonesian live rock....what do u guys think...I will get from incredible aquarium website check it out ...look good ?

If you wanna save some cash you can get 10-15 pounds of live rock and the rest base rock. The live rock will seed the base and it will become live in a couple weeks. This is what it did in my cube. Did 20 pounds of base and the rest live. In two months all the base rock that was bright white is now the exact same color as the live I bought and starting to grow coralline algae

i was thinking of going that route. Is 30lbs rock total (15 base 15 live) enough? I do not want the tank to be too dominated by rock.

And how does everyone feel about indonesian live rock from incredible aquarium?

^^^^^agree should be fine. I have some place in the 30-35 range.

image-4123054557.jpg

Hondanation09 said:
Do you guys all use ro/Di systems for your biocube? Or just buy from lfs?

Right now I buy it from a store that sells RO/DI water 50 cents a gallon. Then I mix my own at home. I'll got and get 3 five gallon bucks for 7.50 and then will mix one five gallon with salt the night before I am going to use it and let it circulate all night. Bulk reef supply sells nice systems I am more than likely going to get at some point

Convict gets his water from his buddy that owns a little fish store

Sorry bout all the questions...trying to cover everything. Where do I put the heater? In a specific chamber or directly in tank? Instead of 100-150w heater would 2 be better at say 50-75w?

When u say circulate do u have a small power head used just or mixing..do you shake jug? What do you mean exactly?

Hondanation09 said:
Sorry bout all the questions...trying to cover everything. Where do I put the heater? In a specific chamber or directly in tank? Instead of 100-150w heater would 2 be better at say 50-75w?

For this small a tank one heater is plenty. I use a 150w for my 29g. As far as where, in the tank is fine. If you can fit it in the back chamber that works too.

Hondanation09 said:
When u say circulate do u have a small power head used just or mixing..do you shake jug? What do you mean exactly?

Yes i think he means he has a powerhead circling the water. Its advised to mix saltwater overnight to thoroughly mix it and oxygenate it.

Just thinking if 2 75w or 2 50w would fit in chamber if would protect against 1 malfunctioning...guess I'm just paranoid at this point

Hondanation09 said:
Just thinking if 2 75w or 2 50w would fit in chamber if would protect against 1 malfunctioning...guess I'm just paranoid at this point

Well thats actually good paranoia considering faulty heaters are probably the biggest cuase of tank crashes, however i recommend a jager heater. Very reliable.

Im not sure if 2 75w or 50w would cut it, never tried it myself so cant say for sure. I use a controller to maintain my temp and alert me if there is a problem with the temp.

Back
Top Bottom