newbie biocube hqi help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hondanation09 said:
U wanna recommend one?

I use the aqueon pro 100 heater and yes I use a pump to circulate the water. I upgraded my pump in the cube to the cobalt mj1200 and use the pump that came with the tank for circulation in my five gallon bucket for mixes. Also use it to pump in the water when I do a change. Easier than pouring it in

couple of more questions:

1) should I be using chemi-pure, live rock rubble and cheato for middle chamber? If so, do i do it right away during cycle or once cycle is over?

2) is there a way to stack them in the chamber...do they need to be physical seperated on own levels with maybe egg crate cut to size?

3) should i be using egg crate on bottom of biocube to place rock on top off? If so does that mean I need more sand then usual to cover it up?

4) What about using an aqualift for top off? If yes, can you help with build? Would i just get jug of RO/DI water with tube in and out to tank? Would love help with this.

5) Along same principle, can aqualift be used if I have a jug of salwater under stand and use aqualift to pump water back into tank after water is taken out for a change once a week?

So many things to read and think about,

Thanks in advance

Hondanation09 said:

1) should I be using chemi-pure, live rock rubble and cheato for middle chamber? If so, do i do it right away during cycle or once cycle is over?

2) is there a way to stack them in the chamber...do they need to be physical seperated on own levels with maybe egg crate cut to size?

3) should i be using egg crate on bottom of biocube to place rock on top off? If so does that mean I need more sand then usual to cover it up?

4) What about using an aqualift for top off? If yes, can you help with build? Would i just get jug of RO/DI water with tube in and out to tank? Would love help with this.

5) Along same principle, can aqualift be used if I have a jug of salwater under stand and use aqualift to pump water back into tank after water is taken out for a change once a week?

Thanks in advance

Go check out media baskets by inTank. They are pretty cheap and work great and it will answer the first three questions. I have the media basket and the fuge basket. in the media basket I have filter floss up top, purigen in the second and , chemi pure on the bottom. In the fuge I have two small pieces of live rock and chaeto with a JBJ fuge light on a timer so the light runs for 12 hour cycle.

For the rest an auto top off is fine you just don't want to use saltwater to top off. Just use RO / DI water. Only use saltwater when u do your water change. Never reuse water. Any other questions ask and if I missed something let me know. I don't use a top off so I can't speak much to it. I just use a gallon jug and top off as needed and do a 5 gallon change once a week

Hondanation09 said:
can a koralia nano circulation 240 be used to mix?

Yea that'll be fine. I use one to circulate the water when I pick up the 5 gallons from my friend. I throw the 240 and a heater in the bucket to temp match and move the mix around to assure nothing settled to the bottom and to help agitate the mix before adding it to my tank.

Just something I've been doing since day 1. You'll find your little routine and it'll be like second nature in no time.

Thanks in advance

1.) I would use them after the cycle with the exception of the live rock rubble.

2.) egg crate may work, but others here use the intank media basket that has been linked above.

3.) you do not need to use egg crate on the bottom. doing so will is just to help support the rock in the event you have major sand movers that undermine the stability of your rocks.

4.) yes and aqualifter can be used for a top off. Goggle DIY ATO's and you should find some builds on how to do this step by step, or on youtube.

5.) yes it can be used to pump water back into the tank, however it will be pretty slow, aqualifters dont push lots of water very fast.

1) is the maxi jet 1200 a simple plug and play modification?

2) When looking at the HQI from the back left to right...is it: a) skimmer Chamber 1 b) Chamber 2 with media basket in place of stock filter pad c) chamber 3 with refugium with chaeto (do you need fuge basket or can you just put in chaeto? Is the basket soley so its easy to pull back out? d) Chamber 4 is where you put heater and either MJ 1200 or keep it stock?

This place has been so helpful 8D

I put the maxi jet in the right slot wear the standard pump was and use the standard pump for mixing salt. The maxi is not on wave timer.
Now with that information take into account I am 1 month into my first tank and still cycling.
Btw I had my kid put the pump in cause my arm would not fit.

Also taking pump out you need to twist elbow off and undo suction cups on pump. I have the intermediate led version.

More q's from the pain in the a$$!

I'm playing around with the idea of an ATO using Tom's aqualifter. I have a diagram I have found

20402530.png

1. My question is I keep reading about sensors to put in tank where tube enters. I am thinking chamber with pump in it makes most sense but correct me if I am wrong.

2. What sensors are people talking about and where do I get them..I am in Canada remember and would prefer local if possible. Would this work? a kent float sensor.

kentfloatvalve.jpg

3. How do these sensors attach and why not put 2 sensors in the chamber...1 to cut flow and 1 for backup?

4. Are there specific sensors that work with specific controllers? Once the sensor detects that water has been replaced does it send message to controller to cut power?

5. Could I use this as fuge light? Here is description:
"Great for lighting a nano tank or for moonlights on a larger tank. 10 LEDs provide bright light to your inhabitants. Flexible stand allows you to bend or twist the light head in any direction for easy positioning. Mount to 1/4" rim with mounting clamp or you can use the adapter to screw to the wall behind the tank or inside the canopy."

riomini.jpg

6. I love technology...is there a controller that allows for ATO connection, temperature, PH readings, even an app to comunicate?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom