Newbie here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steelhawke

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone, have a question for you wonderful people here....started up a 55g tank about 3 weeks ago. I know its still going thru it's cycle so I don't have very many fish in it, but there a few small plants. I have been doing 10% water changes at least every other day trying to get the Nitrites and Nitrates worked out, still too high, but today I see that my water is to get milky cloudy. Question is, am I suppose to be vacuuming the gravel every time i do a water change or should that dirt be staying to in there to get the cycle completed? Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi welcome to AA!
IMO vacing the gravel every few days to remove waste should be sufficient enough. More waste = more ammonia = a more toxic environment for your fish. Cloudy milky water signifies a bacterial bloom. Totally harmless and will clear on its own. Depending on your tank size and number of fish 10% daily could not be enough to keep toxins at bay. Do you have a test kit? Try and keep ammonia and nitrite at or under .25ppm.
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/246850-bacterial-blooms-explained/
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html
Here is some reading for you. :)

Thanks for the answer, I've been testing with test strips, but I plan on getting a new testing kit. I have to do things slowly being retired and living on social security. I love the tank, it's so relaxing, I pull up a chair and sit there for hours just watching. I want to do things right but I know I'm being impatient and I want to rush things on, baby steps, I keep telling myself, I have all the time in the world now. I'll keep you posted as how things are going.

Congrats on your new 55. I wanted to give you a heads up. API master test kits are the most reliable and affordable tests on the market.
Enjoy. And kudos for doin things the rite way!

Just so everyone knows, the cycle finished and my 55g is doing great! A few more taller plants a couple more fish and it should be done. I'll post some pictures then, hate to have people see it incomplete.

Back
Top Bottom