Newbie question about Eheim Canister Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mnestroy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I"m knew to the forum and have been doing tons of research and I was hoping somebody could clear a few things up for me.

I have a 55galon fresh water tank. Currently I have hanging filter that is about to die.

I would like to invest in a good canister filter. I do not mind dishing out the cash as long as it does what I expect. I have heard many great things about the Eheim filters

I like the fact that people have said they dont make any sounds. This is important for me. And that they dont need to be cleaned every week.

My big question is about the Eheim 2227 Profesionel Wet / Dry Canister Filter.... Will this filter meet all my needs? I am a tad confused by the Wet / Dry aspect. I know that the other lower models such as the Eheim 2026 Pro II do not mention the Wet/Dry technology...

I kinda understand the concept of wet/dry (my current filter has a bio wheel) I'd like to get a new filter that I dont need to use a bio wheel... Will the 2227 not be a universal filter for my tank?

Eventualy i would like to have the option of going to salt water, or a larger tank.

Thanks!

lmkbubblfsh.gif

to AquariumAdvice.com!!

Not really a FW guy and don't know much about the particular filter your referring to, but from what I do remember reading about it it would be an all encompassing filter for you and would do a fine job on your tank.

Hi mnestroy.

I have an Eheim 2026 Pro II running on my 58 gal FW tank. The filter itself is very quiet - I have to touch it to verify that it is running. The only noise is some trickling generated by the spraybar, which I have oriented to provide maximal surface agitation. If you adjust the flow rate and/or spray bar position, this filter can be absolutely silent.

It's easy to disconect the supply/return tubing from the main filter and priming the filter is a breeze. I have had it running for nearly 5 months and I haven't had to do any maintenance yet - the built-in flowmeter still indicates maximal flowrate. Maintenance will be easy because I need only rinse the two easy-to-remove media baskets and the pad. Eheim recommends replacing some of the media substrate at each 4 -6 month maintenance cycle.

I looked at the 2227 on the web and it is identical to my filter with the exception of the wet/dry portion. If you are considering switching to SW someday, keeping picky species like discus, or keeping messy species like goldfish -and the cost difference between the 2026 and the 2227 does not alarm you - then I would get the 2227. Otherwise, the 2026 is a fine filter and would serve your needs well at lower cost. Based upon what I have read, the Eheim filter is built to run trouble-free for years. I'm very happy with mine.

I have two Marineland Magnum 350's that we use when we keep turtles during the summer. I love them! Plenty of power and easy to use.

Marineland also makes a H.O.T. (Hang on Tank) magnum if you want to go the HOB route again. I believe its flow rate is 250 GPH.

The Eheim's are good filters but I love the Magnums. Easy to use and setup. Just thought I would throw this in.

From what i have tried in lfs, both Eheim and Fluval std canister is very quite. But the Eheim wet/dry create water flushing sound.

I have an Eheim 2215 Classic with the free accessory kit that includes all the media and the ball cock valves/connectors to make it easy to quickly and easily disconnect the filter and I have to say for the 89.00 it is an awesome filter. It's rated at 96 gallon tank size and 164 GPH, so I imagine I am ok with this filtering a 40 Gal FW tank.

I do have a Penguin 170 as well and that is actually the loudest sound which is a pleasant fountain type of water trickle. Allot of people bad mouth the Eheim for priming, but I have to say it was nothing to get set up, and quiet as a grave.

Back
Top Bottom