Newbie questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diveonin2000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok I am ready finally to go and get my first real SW tank. I won a emporer 400 in a drawing at a pet store and so now I really want to get a tank started. I had a 20 gallon 7 years ago but only for 6 months due to a relationship prob. Anyway, I was thinking of getting 55 gallon acrylic. I plan on having a FO or FOWLR tank. I was wondering a couple of things. My last tank the LFS said cc was better than sand to help control ph. Is this true? Question 2. With the bio-wheels in the emporer do you really need a proten skimmer. Don't they do sort of the same thing? I was also planning on getting a power head for the corner to get more water movement. What would be a good size that's not hurricane force flow? And lastly Does anyone know of a reputable LFS in the Orange County CA area. It seems the ones I have seen lately the fish just don't look to healthy and the tanks are all dirty. The one I started with a while back was very clean, the fish were all fat and happy and they always held all of thier fish for a week before they would sell them.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Jeff :)

i think the crushed coral will help keep your ph high, and no a bio-wheel wont due any thing near what a skimmer will do.

I use crushed coral and have good results, but man I bought a nice used 55 for my first SW and it is so dang skinny you cant fit the stuff you want on top, get a 70 or 75 with some depth for the larger lighting and stuff you will be using, that is my 2 cents worth. A skimmer is nice to run once in a while to skim off the oily, smelly goo. With my 55 and dual Flourescent triton/Blue Moon actininc and also a HOB like you will be using, I can barely get my hand inthe front to move rocks around with this skinny 55 gallon. :( ANyway good luck!! And have fun! I was freshwater for years and years and I really enjoy SW now, too.

Oh also for powerheads I use 3 powerheads, some people say about 2 powerheads will do for a 55, but mine are moderate size about 250 gph or so, and the 3 of them move the water around just right so my little stationary live rock feeder critters enjoy a nice flow of food. Just whatever is a good deal and doesnt blow your socks off for a powerhead. Penguin makes a nice PH. I tried substituting 2 of the PH's with one big Rio 750gph and it was making a real whirlwind so out it went. :wink:

I have an emperor 280 on my 29 GAL. I suggest you do some reading up on what the functions of a protein skimmer actually involve. Within 48 hours of adding my skimmer, I noticed an obvious "crispness" to my water, and ALOT of stinky sludge in the collection cup :oops:

Starting off with at least 1lb of live rock per gal. and a protein skimmer are gonna increase your chances of success dramatically. Those are two items I would not skimp on. Get a copy of "The conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert M. Fenner. I swear I use the book everyday. It will answer pretty much every darn question you could have about getting started. HTH
Travis

Back
Top Bottom