Newbie Seeks Your Knowledge (Video & Pics 01/01/07)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Visible2 = Woody83's other half...

Since we're just getting things set up for the moment, we took a minute to familiarize ourselves with the AP test kit and just tested some tap water (no Prime added, sat for maybe an hour before testing) and found the following:

Ph low - definitely maxed @ 7.6
Ph high - 7.6-7.8, probably closer to 7.8
Ammonia - 0-0.25, probably closer to 0

Should we have let the water sit longer? Primed it first? Our Ph level scary?

Thanks.

PH is fine. Stable much more important that actual levels. In very few cases do you need to worry about it.

Let it sit out for 24 hours and test it again.

Days 1 & 2:

Day 1: Finally finished the stand and got the tank set up with Eco, water and some decorations. Got the XP2 hooked up and in-line heater. Tons of tiny air bubbles everywhere, but they're easily aggitated to remove.

As for the XP2, set up is incredibly simple, sound is almost nil. I'd say the only complaint I have is the cheap plastic air bar and intake connections. I actually cracked 1 of the intake segments which didn't matter too much cause I didn't need all the sections length wise. I just wish their connection points were a little more solid.

Overall, the water is clearer than I expected for such a short time. I've read how people have had problems with the intake being so strong it sucked fish to the intake. This made me worry because my intake is so non sucky (for lack of a better term). But water has got to be moving cause the the output is flowing well, enough to disturb the substrade since I have the spray bar positioned vertically. (Bottom hole is right near the substrate).

So end of day one, we just kinda stare at the tank in awe of how fun it all is to see it come together. No leaks & pretty level, I'm happy. Turned heater up to 80 and added a droppler of ammonia to get things going.

Day 2: Grabbed my seed material and squeezed it around in the tank, then put it in the lower compartment of the canister. Still no leaks, nice clean looking water, still bunch of air bubbles around but easily removed by hand. Now to water tests. My eariler post describes a test of Ph (only test I seemed was relevant of just tap water, now I think I should have tested my tap for Nitrate.)

So we tested ammonia after my 1 droppler, not much change, still pretty much nil. So I dosed 3 more dropplers, tested a few hours later and up to 3-4 which is what I was going for. Ph, dunno what affected my Ph so much, but it went from what my tap was (7.6-7.8) to now we're at Ph low 7.6, Ph high it's bright purple which doesn't match up too much on test card, but I'd say 8.4?? Would the Eco have that affect? I know stable better, so I'll just keep an eye on it.

For fun we tested Nitrite and Nitrate. Nitrite 0. Nitrate 20-40, closer to 20. I'm wondering if the Nitrate results are more from the tap water than the established media. We'll test tommorow and such to get a better idea.

I think I'm more worried currently about the Ph than the cylce as I have the patience to see that through.

Not sure if there's anything you all can advise till we wait a bit and test some more. But I figured I'd give an update. If anyone has actually read this far thanks so much.

Pictures definately to come soon. We're loving this adventure.

Hello Woody,

Glad to see that you are thinking bigger. I thought I would start small and ended up with a 29 which now seems to be too small after a long three weeks into this tank I'm thinking 75 gallon! Consider the eco complete substrate since you like plants. I think it looks really nice being all black and seems to be a favorite for plants.

My experience with shopping for my tank is that the little hole in the wall stores had the best deals.

Without question, read about the nitrogen cycle and consider a fishless cycle. It feels painfully slow while you are waiting for it to get going but the end result is priceless. Both in your fishes health and your happiness.

My $.02

Wow either I type really slow or I did not pay attention to all the other posts... Sorry

Woody83 said:
For fun we tested Nitrite and Nitrate. Nitrite 0. Nitrate 20-40, closer to 20. I'm wondering if the Nitrate results are more from the tap water than the established media. We'll test tommorow and such to get a better idea.

Getting NO3 from day 1 means it is from your tap (You've added 4 of NH3, can't make 20 of NO3 from that.) I would check the tap water to be sure. The NO3 may be from your substrates & such as well (I know eco has stuff in it, but I don't think it would leach out?)

Day 3:

Ammonia dropped from 4ish to 1.0 in about 24 hours. Dosed back up to 2-4 range.

Ph - 7.8-8.0

Nitrite - 2.0

Nitrate - 10.0

Seems things are going well.

Day 4:

Can't keep up with the ammonia, it was back down to <1.0 after 24 hours, dosed back up to 2-4 area. Nitrite still at about 2.0

Full range of tests tomorrow. I suspect Nitrite will start dropping soon and once it bottoms out I believe I have the green light for fish.

First addition I think will be 2 ottos & 2 corries, followed a few days later by the school of barbs. Do I need to worry about the ratios of males to females?

I got to roughly the point you are at with my cycle and it seemed to not want to advance. Adding some fish food provided a little phosphate and that seemed to do the trick. The nitrite began moving the next day quite quickly too.

That looks great! It's like a natural-looking tank with a twist. Awesome job. I'm glad you went with the 30 long. That's a nice size and I think you'll be happier with it than a 20 or 29. One question: the link you posted above for your light listed a 30" fixture, and you seem to have a 36" tank; did you go ahead and buy the 36" fixture instead?

My only advice to you at this point is to add more plants, and to spread out your red ludwigia. The bottom leaves may not get enough light when the stems are bunched up like that and the bottom leaves may start to die.

Your stand and canopy look excellent, BTW! I wish I was a DIY-er, but I've come to terms with the fact that I'm just not, LOL.

Thanks, the light is only 30in so as not to approach the necessity for CO2 (for the moment). Because it's 6in short it's caused some delays in finishing the canopy. The plants were an impulse as I already had a bunch on order, but they're not getting here quick enough.

Right to left - Ludwigia, Round Leaf (i forget the technical term atm), Amazon Sword, Bananas, and unfortunately the one growing out of budda's butt is a hedge (literally) will have to get tossed.

Water parameters after only 5 short days - Ammonia turns over in 24 hours, not adding any more since it has been suggested not to with plants in now. Did crumple in some flake food as suggested above. Nitrites still around 2.0. Nitrates are blooming.

I must give big props to the Rena XP2, we stired the hell out of the tank planting and crap was floating everywhere, but within an hour it really cleared up. That thing really moves water.

One concern, I have very minimal surface agitation with the spray bar positioned vertically. Should I consider moving it to agitate the surface more or get an air bubbler or should I just wait and see if the fish gasp for air then decide.

The XPs rock, I'll agree. I use one on my 29 gallon low light angel tank and it is more than adequate. My water is always crystal clear. I use the spray bar and I really like it as compared to the normal output- it's nice how Rena includes both options; Fluval doesn't (although I use one of these too, and I really like it). Anyway, I don't think you need to add an airstone. If you are using CO2, the surface agitation from the airstone will just cause the CO2 to dissipate out of the water faster. What is the wattage of your light? If you are over 2 watts/gallon, you may need to look into CO2, and in your setup DIY would probably work ok. I positioned my spray bar horizontally, but vertically should work fine for you. The XP2 will give you a lot of flow for a 30 long. I seriously doubt if your fish will gasp. In a planted tank, you may consider cutting a sponge to fit over the intake of you XP2 to function as a prefilter. This will cut down on your filter maintenance, IME. I just cut an Aquaclear foam block to fit my canister intakes and it works great, JMO.

Sounds like your fishless cycle will be finishing soon. Props to you for doing your homework!

I'm of the opinion that just like you can't have too much filtration, you can't have too much oxygen. Or at least it is not likely that you can introduce too much with conventional methods.

Remember, the nitrifying bacteria are competing for the same O2 that your fish are. If the plants are healthy, they will add O2 to the water but why not make sure that you have all the O2 you can get.

I have also noticed that with a calm surface, small particles can accumulate. Keeping the surface agitated, helps make sure these particles get mixed in the tank and are more likely to be sucked up by the filter.

A bubbler will add O2 but most of that gas exchange is done at the surface as it becomes agitated by the bubbles breaking the surface. The spray bar can accomplish all of that. Unless you just like the look of bubbles.

Day 9:

Ph - 7.8
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0!
Nitrate - 40+

Looks like a partial water change (40-50%), Prime and off to the fish store. Hopefully find some corrys & ottos.

Very excited.

4 Oto's & 3 Corry Cat's in for 24+ hours now. All appear happy. Pics coming soon when I figure out the best settings to take em.

A mini update:

Water parameters are unchanged. 7 plant species (all the types I mentioned on page 2) arrived courtesy of Aquadise.com. Unfortunately 1 cherry barb has passed. While frustrating, I can't determine any reason why other than it never seemed he acclimated well. All other cherry barbs are getting plump and the one which passed never seemed to eat.

New pics, a water change and some filter cleaning are due about now. The pics won't be to great for now as all the plants need some time to grow in, but it should be interesting to watch the transformation.

Few weeks later, some GSA and Brown Algea, plants are thriving. So much so, my nitrates have bottomed out. Guessing it's time to dose something?

30g, 65w, no co2

check out the planted forum. ask them for an EI dosing schedule for your tank gallon size, and shoot for 30 ppm CO2 (diy or pressurized)

Time to move to the big boy forum

Back
Top Bottom