The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Babymama

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have a 30 gallon tank and I would like to make it a saltwater reef tank. What will I need to get started. As of right now the only filter I have is a marineland filter it says it does fresh water and saltwater.

I just started my first reef tank in a 30, 5 weeks ago. I can help you start from what other people told me to do in no expert but I can help you with some little things what would you like to know?

Mike jones said:
I just started my first reef tank in a 30, 5 weeks ago. I can help you start from what other people told me to do in no expert but I can help you with some little things what would you like to know?
I don't know anything about it so any advice will be helpful

Well very first things you'll need are salt, RODI water, refractometer, thermometer, heater, power head, test kits (ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate), 30+lbs live rock (or base rock), 20+ lbs live sand, and ammonia source (fishfood, dead fish, ammonia in a bottle, die off from live rock) that should be enough to get you started and be able to add a fish and a cuc. Once you wanna add corals you'll need more stuff.

Babymama said:
I don't know anything about it so any advice will be helpful

Honestly I hope I'm not coming off rude and if it seems that way I sincerely apologize.

You need to do some research, read up on those links and look through the stickies and other threads about starting up saltwater tanks.

Then after that, write down your specific questions for us to answer. Figure out if you want a FOWLR(fish only with live rock) or a reef setup( that's with corals)

There is soooo much to learn. And the learning process will continue well into your journey.

Babymama said:
I want a reef setup

Ok you want corals.

Like stated before. First I'd do some research and even visit some saltwater fish stores.

You'll need.

RO/DI water to mix the salt
Heater
Power head or power heads depending on what type you go with
Test kits for calcium,magnesium,nitrite, nitrate,phosphates,ammonia,pH,alkalinity
Refractometer to test salinity
Lights, for a reef set up your gonna want a good T5 High Out out light fixture. 4 or 6 bulb fixture will work. You can also go with metal halide lights or LED's. LED's in the long run will be cheaper considering you won't be replacing bulbs.
Live rock and some base rock
Live sand or another type of sand
Filter

So you see why I said research and google at this stage. The beginning stage can be your best friend :)

Alright so if your going to start one up either you can go to your local fish store and purchase salt water or you can go and get a thing of instant ocean and add 1/2 cup per gallon and get a power head and let it mix for a day then your gonna want to get a salinity meter and try to get youre salinity anywhere from 1.021 to 1.025

If you want you can message me people tend to get mad when new hobbiest post start up question but don't worry I was in the same boat you where in but thankfully I had some great people that helped me out

If you know a bit about saltwater start with the nitrogen cycle. Once you know about that get the things I meantioned and start the cycle while your learning more. Worst thing that could happen is letting a already cycled tank sit for a while while your still learning. And it dont take much to learn about a CuC. You'll wanna start with just snails and hermits. Then you can start doing the real research before you add fish or coral or delicate invertebrates. But then you at least have the basics and something to look at :) feel free to pm me also although my tank has only been up a couple months or so not including cycle.

Babymama said:
I want a reef setup

It is much easier for us to help if you know what you want, and if you have specific questions. Also, members are more likely to help people who put some thought into their questions and do some research on their own... ;) there are many threads just like this one on here... They pretty much walk you through everything needed to set up a nice reef tank.

NuNu is right however I was in that position and it's pretty hard finding a good spot to star and where to go from there.

Just to point out, I did link some good beginner sites pretty much talks about everything. Just saying I want a reef set up and what do I have to I have to do is such a loaded question.

Nobody here is saying they don't wanna help and some have given some basic needs to start one up.

But it would be a lot more helpful I we had specific questions to answer.

I was also in the same boat at one time but I searched the Internet and joined here and read many many threads about cycling saltwater tanks etc... Then posted my own BC29 build thread and members offered help and advice.

Well I got a 75 gallon tank now with t5 lights a sump a refigium two hundred pounds of live rock two power heads a return pump the tank is pre-drilled how have I done so far

Babymama said:
Well I got a 75 gallon tank now with t5 lights a sump a refigium two hundred pounds of live rock two power heads a return pump the tank is pre-drilled how have I done so far

Wow! Very good! 75 has alot of options! T5 4bulb? High output? What size refugium? Did you get a refugium and a sump? LR sounds good. How strong are the power heads? Any sand? Got the testing stuff yet? Your gettin close to adding water!!! Gets more exciting every day!

Don't laugh but I got the setup off craigslist the guy had a reef setup in it I have to wait til Saturday to pick it up I expect everything should be the right things for it

Oh yeah! That's a great find! If everything is in working order you shouldn't need too much to get started! Once you pic it up post some pics and some details about everything and we can tell you what you still need.

I'm defiantly going to do that the guy said the hood to the tank wasn't that good do I really need the hood

Back
Top Bottom