Nightmare confirmed-Camellanus and how I treated it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrissi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Wanted to put this out there because I had a heck of a time finding dosage info.

About a month ago I was researching a fish I was considering purchasing and stumbled on info about a parasite I had never encountered or QT'd for. So in major freak out mode I started watching my community tank like a hawk because I had added fish to it over the past few months. And sure enough I had a cherry barb with an inflamed vent and eventually saw worms when she was stationary. Lucky me I stumbled on this before my fish had stopped eating, unlucky me I had 4 tanks that I'd possibly cross contaminated. Overall we are good about not cross contaminating but I had not made any stock changes in 3 months and figured I was safe to get a little lax. After all I QT all new stock and plants for 4 weeks. Little did I know the evil devil worm takes 6-12 weeks to make its presence known. As I researched meds and continued to watch I started to see more signs and lost a young black phantom to the worms.

So I have just finished up one three day dose of fenbendazole and so far so good. I have levimosal on order JIC. My fish have been pooping dead worms like crazy, including healthy fish I had no idea were infected. I will be following up laxative and with Kanaplex in food to address internal infections. I also have two more treatments to go before I can begin to hope I am worm free.

A lot of conflicting info out there, and I am no expect. But after a week of extensive reading across the internet I came up with this treatment. Will be a while until I know for sure it works, I will update, but I think I nailed the buggers.

Half a 1 gram packet of Safeguard Dog De-Wormer OTC at 22% fenbenazole. This is about 1/8 teaspoon. Grind the granular into a fine powder (I used spoons). Add 25-30 ml garlic guard, cap tightly and shake vigorously to combine. Add 2 cubes frozen blood worms, 1 teaspoon focus, and a few drops Vita-Chem (optional). Allow to soak 30 min to an hour. Turn off chemical filter (make sure you have fresh carbon to remove extra meds after feeding) and feed only worms, do not dump solution into tank. Feed slowly as much as your fish will eat and discard remaining. Turn chemical ftration back on and observe fish for negative reactions to meds. Do this once a day for 3 days performing a large water change and heavy gravel vac day before and day after treatment course. Repeat in 2-3 weeks and again in another 2-3 weeks to break the life cycle.

I treated Cherry Barbs, Phantom Tetras, Three Stripe Coryadoras, Kissing Gourami, Angelfish, and Harlequin Rasboras. My only area of concern was Angelfish as there was some info out there about bad reactions but they did ok. With in 5 hours most my fish started to pass dead worms and all of them after 12 hours. After second dose poo started to return to normal. My plants were fine and no shifts to bio cycle. The only reaction I saw to meds in fish was heavy poo-ing, no one showed stress.

I'm really glad to see that someone can get rid of them, thanks for the info! I've tried everything that people have recommended but things just aren't working and I can't get my hands on any levamisole. Can you respond to my thread with your opinion? The worst infected fish is a juvenile feeder guppy that has worms literally an inch long out of her vent and things just aren't killing if and I can actually see the eggs that it it laying?
My post:

Hey, so about 2 months ago, one of my fish started showing signs of bad Camallanus worms, I've been trying every cure possible, but they aren't working. It's taken almost 2 months for them to start affecting the visible health of my fish, and now she's hiding and looking lethargic. And the worms are getting to a whole inch long on my little guppy!! Any ideas? And this is a terrible thought but should I do euthanasia if it gets any worse? It's jus that they are still laying eggs and it looks like her condition keeps getting worse!
Thanks!
I'll try to get pics!

I posted on your thread but I will add here as well. These worms do not lay eggs, they bare live young, so that may be what you see. I do not know enough to say if young can be seen. You may read eggs take 6 months to hatch, most I scientific articles I read, this in not the case. Dead adults (or paralyzed in the case of levimosal use) can release eggs but they hatch in a much shorter time than 6 months which is why treatments are recommended at 1 week to 3 week follow ups. The live young/larva need to find a host in 3 weeks. Then ingested larva take a few weeks to become live bearing adults. As most info said 2-3 weeks I went for the middle man of re treatment in 2.5 weeks then again in another 2.5 weeks.

That being said your treatment does not end at removing the worm from the fish. Large water changes are required to remove larva and eggs from the water and secondary complications will most likely come about. It is possible you will not be able to salvage smaller fish, especially those under 1 inch. Smaller fish may not pass all the dead worms allowing them to rot internally and worms could be heavily attached even once dead. You need to prepare for antibiotic treatment for internal damage from the worm, laxative the aid in passing, and removal/euthanasia of fish that cannot be cured to avoid passing infections to other fish. If you have a fish whose species is prone to HITH metro treatment may be required. This is not an easy to treat problem and takes diligence.

My thoughts are the worst I can do is try and fail, euthanizing them all and starting again was never an option if I had a chance. But it isn't easy either. So far my med regime worked, but I know my work isn't over yet.

Fenbenazole kills adults and possibly larva and eggs (after ingested). Relatively safe to use (debate on this) but not safe to treat water column.

Flubendaze kills adults/larva/eggs in fish and water column. Debate on safety but same drug family as fenbenazole.

Levimosal stuns adults may result in death of adult, larva, and eggs but much debate. Treatment of choice but hard to come by thanks to druggies. Water column dose.

That's it for known cures that are somewhat readily available. Others are either ineffective or hard to come by. Many not much is known to effects on animal.

I had one heck of a battle with these nasty worms. I was able to find levamisole on ebay. Delivery was pricey, but I couldn't bare to watch the suffering any more. It worked like a charm and within a few days, there were no more signs of the worms. One year later, the tank is still clear.

That's what I am using if they come back. Ordered levimosel JIC. Got the fenben fenbendazole first because once I lost my tetra I knew I needed something I could get right away. It seems to have worked but I have read some ppl who had it come back so if it does I will be ready and had to use a different med the second time so want to be ready.

Fantastic! Thanks for posting this, I am sure you will have helped far more people than ever reply to this message. I hope they make this a sticky! :) Great job!

Back
Top Bottom