Nitrate level to high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltimomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just tested all 3 of my tanks. This is what I have:

29 Gallon

1/10/2012​
PH​
7.6​

AMMONIA​
0 ppm​

NITRITE​
0 ppm​

NITRATE​
80+ ppm​

55 Gallon #1

1/10/2012​
PH​
7.6​

AMMONIA​
0 ppm​

NITRITE​
0 ppm​

NITRATE​
80+ ppm​

55 Gallon #2
1/10/2012​
PH​
7.6​

AMMONIA​
0+ ppm​

NITRITE​
0 ppm​

NITRATE​
40+ ppm​

All 3 tanks are planted. This is the first time the nitrates have been above 40 ppm. I'm going to do a pwc, but is there anything else I can do? Any idea why the nitrates stay high. I only do pwc once a week.

:(:(:(:(

How big are your pwcs? As you are already planted, you may have to consider bigger and/or more frequent water changes to keep these levels down. The other thing worth checking is your tap water- my city water varies on nitrate levels, some days are higher than others & there can be quite a bit of variation from day to day.

How big are your pwcs? As you are already planted, you may have to consider bigger and/or more frequent water changes to keep these levels down. The other thing worth checking is your tap water- my city water varies on nitrate levels, some days are higher than others & there can be quite a bit of variation from day to day.

I change 1/3 to 1/2 of the water. I'll try to pwc twice a week and see if that helps.

jlk said:
Check your tap as well & hopefully more frequent pwcs will help! :)

They are very high so the frequent changes will help as you say, wonder why it's so high though?

If its not the tap it's something in the tank that's causing huge waste buildups.

I agree. First I'd check your tap water for nitrate. If it's 0 or a lot lower than what the tank can account for then I'd look at your stocking levels, feeding regimen and water change/substrate vacuum maintenance schedule and tweak those accordingly. You ideally want to keep nitrates <20.

My nitrates are high too. When I test my tap water it's a solid orange in the test tube.

I've been doing two 30% PWC's a week. I'd like to do just one 50% but my pH is lower in my tank and I'll pH shock my fish. Those nitrates tend to lower your pH in your tank.

Still not sure what to do about my tap water.

Back
Top Bottom