NitrAte spike, what causes it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dude get some hornwort,moss balls and valisneria (river grass) in that tank,there easy and cheap plants,and WILL fix your problems

Megacichlid said:
Dude get some hornwort,moss balls and valisneria (river grass) in that tank,there easy and cheap plants,and WILL fix your problems

For a couple days until the cichlids rip them up.

I have peacock bass,oscars and jags in my tank and they dont bother my plants,hornwort is a plant that when broke in 2 becomes 2 plants,moss balls can be wedged in rocks and river grass is pretty tough,i keep destructive fish and have no issues,why woudnt he want to try a natural approach?

Well I appreciate all the help guys. I'm not sure what to do. I did neglect the tank for about 4 weeks. I did a water change on Saturday. Here's test I just performed.

View attachment 86456

Maybe I just need to make sure I do the right thing and do my weekly's and clean my filters an do my partial gravel vacs. I do a little area at a time so I don't have to break the tank down. So I move a little here and there so I remember how it looked before, OCD :(

Last edited:
Megacichlid said:
I have peacock bass,oscars and jags in my tank and they dont bother my plants,hornwort is a plant that when broke in 2 becomes 2 plants,moss balls can be wedged in rocks and river grass is pretty tough,i keep destructive fish and have no issues,why woudnt he want to try a natural approach?

Because he has African cichlids. Not new world.

So what,any lfs iv ever been to keeps plant in african tanks,and id be willing to bet his fish have never been in african waters

On another forum, People are talking about planting their entire HOB filters, even using various mosses on the spillway. It's acutally a decent idea I think. One lady has just an insane amount of aquatic and terrestrial plants growing out of her tank it looks killer!

Sake said:
On another forum, People are talking about planting their entire HOB filters, even using various mosses on the spillway. It's acutally a decent idea I think. One lady has just an insane amount of aquatic and terrestrial plants growing out of her tank it looks killer!

I just about to suggest that! Like a riparium.

Sake said:

Mumma.of.two said:
I just about to suggest that! Like a riparium.

How would I plant a AC 110? Thought I needed a sump for that?

I think some people super glue the moss to the spill way, and as far as planting the back of it, you could get a mesh bag put a bit of gravel in it toss it in the back of your filter with a plant sticking out.

Megacichlid said:
Toss a couple moss balls on top of your sponge

Sake said:
I think some people super glue the moss to the spill way, and as far as planting the back of it, you could get a mesh bag put a bit of gravel in it toss it in the back of your filter with a plant sticking out.

Some good ideas.

Convict2161 said:
Well I appreciate all the help guys. I'm not sure what to do. I did neglect the tank for about 4 weeks. I did a water change on Saturday. Here's test I just performed.

Maybe I just need to make sure I do the right thing and do my weekly's and clean my filters an do my partial gravel vacs. I do a little area at a time so I don't have to break the tank down. So I move a little here and there so I remember how it looked before, OCD :(

I think your new powerhead should help cut down on the need to break down as often. I know you have a lot of rock work, but mine helps keep the poo moving nicely and gets it to the filters.

Malawi Freak said:
I think your new powerhead should help cut down on the need to break down as often. I know you have a lot of rock work, but mine helps keep the poo moving nicely and gets it to the filters.

Yeah your right... As soon as I turned it on I saw all the crap moving around debris and everything. I couldn't believe what I saw!!! So hopefully like you said that will help.

Mumma.of.two said:
He has tried moss balls. They didn't last :/ huge mess. Honestly it's just too many fish in the tank and it's going to get worse as his fry grow.

She's right. It wrecked havoc on my filters. It was a MESS!! Never again are moss balls going IN the tank. And yeah I'm very well over stocked and have fry!!

I'll be doing some re homing in the future but Mumma knows and I refuse to do a total breakdown again :(

Or I'll have a breakdown FOR SURE.

Back
Top Bottom