No plecos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Demonknight

Aquarium Advice Freak
I understand that some get big, I've had a few large ones...which ones stay small or what is used by most to help keep the tank clean?

I loved the whiptails I've had, but seem to be a bit harder to find in stock around here.

jsoong said:
I have rubberlip pleco (C. Thomasi), that stays small at ~4"

Bristlenose is another dwarf variety.

Bristlenoses stay at about five inches long. I love them, and am getting one soon.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

You might also consider a Hillstream Loach. They're obviously not a Pleco, but look a lot like one and are a cuter alternative to a Pleco, if you wish to go that route. They do a great job at cleaning algae and also eat algae wafers if you don't have any.

CoyoteWildfire said:
You might also consider a Hillstream Loach. They're obviously not a Pleco, but look a lot like one and are a cuter alternative to a Pleco, if you wish to go that route. They do a great job at cleaning algae and also eat algae wafers if you don't have any.

Whatchoo talkin' bout? Plecos are cute! Lol!!

Hillstream loaches are so awesome. They max out at like 2.5". I always see them for sale as butterfly plecos.

I don't really know much about them. I don't think I've even seen a picture of one.

Fyi, http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...wensis.jpg/200px-Beaufortia_kweichowensis.jpg

And don't get me wrong Dakota, I LOVE plecos.

I have a common pleco in my 29-gallon that I absolutely adore. I named him Kaito, which is Japanese for Ocean Dipper. He's going to outgrow my tank soon and honestly, I'm really heartbroken over it... I do have some friends who have a 75 gallon tank that will take him, but man, I love my pleco. So don't worry, I agree that they're very cute.

But Hillstream loaches take that over the top.

yea, im in the same boat. i do have bristlenosers and clowns tho.. theyre excellent at eatin algae

Bristlenose is definitely the way to go. I wouldn't run a freshwater tank without one.

Yet another fast question for you guys...I have a pair of semi-working lamps (old salt water tank and lots of rust, salt build up and a shot ballast), but the lamps are 45 buck 50/50 96watt bulbs.. question is will these be enough for a planted 125gallon tank or will I need more light? the description reads "50/50 lamps combine 50 percent 10,000K with 50 percent True Actinic 03 Blue phosphors"

If we're talking about lighting, it's hard to say... The first question is what kind of bulb is it? Wattages are nice and all, but that doesn't necessarily tell us what the raw lumen count is. Lumens are where it's at, so be sure to keep those in mind.

T5 bulbs have a lot of lumen output per watt, but if it's from an old saltwater, I assume the bulbs are older T12s or maybe T8s. If that's the case, probably not...

Though it also will depend on the plants you'll be planting your aquarium with... Bottom line, it comes down to lumen output. You might just consider replacing those lamps with a nice T5 fixture.

sorry, these are square pin compact fluorescent bulbs, bloody things run about 45 to replace (on the plus side both bulbs work, just need some tlc and one new ballast).. I'll look around and see if I can find a lumen number

Depends on what plants you want to grow, but the actinic half of the bulbs are useless for plants. FW plants can use 6700k or 10000k spectrum bulbs. More than 1.5 watts/gallon and you'll want to hook up CO2 and dose w/ferts or you'll grow an amazing crop of algae that will smother anything else...

good to know about the actinic side, they do make one that 67ooK with a "colormax" side, or a straight up 10K duel side...thats probably over kill for me as for now I would like to stay away from co2. I'm looking at low light/med light plants such as micfo sword and moss..some kind of tallish plant for the very back of the tank.

If they are 45$ a bulb it might be cheaper in the long run to do t5. Go to aquatraders.com , they have great prices.

Yeah, I have to agree with needmorecowbell then. t5s aren't quite that expensive, and they have a wide assortment of color temperatures but do not skimp on light output.

Back
Top Bottom