Non Cory options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnt2k14

Aquarium Advice Regular
Look for suggestions for a community catfish that is similar to cory cats in its temperament and size. Something like the South american bumblebee catfish. What else is out there?

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Honeycomb catfish are really cute, but hide during the day like bumblebee catfish. Both the honeycomb and the bumblebee can swallow fish that are 1-1.5 inches long, so they're not nessisarilly community fish. Good for eating uneaten food, though.

Honeycomb ... nice! I'll start my research.
Thank you.

-John

Just wondering, why not cories?

Oh and Otos would be a species to research, they look like some of the dwarf corydoras if you are into that.

I love cories but I'm looking for some variety. I don't have much room left in my stocking plan. Looking for options to the 4 peppered cory I have now. Thought a bumblebee cat would be neat if elusive :) and I have enough non-bottom fish. Looking on planetcatfish and I'm having a hard time finding something like a cory that isn't 1 of the 100 species of cory.

otos ... I'll add that to the list. Thank you.

-John

I have a bumblebee in my tank, I hardly ever see him. He usually doesn't come out till lights go out

Otos are great but they like company and need an established tank with lots of algae.

What size tank ?

Rosy Loaches are tiny and cute. My friend has a big group in a 20 Long.

Dwarf Chain as was mentioned, but they are little hoodlums, so you need a big group and tank mates that tolerate their antics.

There are so many Cory species that you could have a diff species in each tank ?

Clown Loaches are awesome for giant tanks.

I loved my Eels and my Elephant Nose that I had in my big tanks in the past.

Zebra Otos are great looking, but more pricey and sensitive. But once established in a clean well planted 30g or larger a group of them is very attractive.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you for the replies.

Aspidoras - didn't know they existed. Cool. Look like slightly longer versions of the cory family, at least from my quick google images of them.

Otos... I don't think my tank has enough algae and doesn't have any live plants. Food for thought though.

Loaches... neat but I don't have the stocking room for 4-6 of them.

The tank is 29 g. primarily for my glo-fish tetras.

-John

Back
Top Bottom