Nu Nu and Gboy's 66 gallon Red Sea Max build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How long would it take to cycle using the media? We have waited a long time, and we were under the impression that it would instantly cycle

I've heard just on here that using the seeded media and ammonia that the cycle lasts usually a week

Jlsardina said:
I've heard just on here that using the seeded media and ammonia that the cycle lasts usually a week

Ok, now we have ceramic rings, abd a sponge in the 30. Should we just ad the rings or sponge? Also, how nuch ammo?

Gboy66 said:
Ok, now we have ceramic rings, abd a sponge in the 30. Should we just ad the rings or sponge? Also, how nuch ammo?

Add the sponge (but leave some in the 30 so it doesn't re- cycle). You want to dose to 4 ppm and watch it drop. Repeat until 4 ppm cycles to nitrates in 24 hours. Then do large water change to drop trates

Jlsardina said:
Add the sponge (but leave some in the 30 so it doesn't re- cycle). You want to dose to 4 ppm and watch it drop. Repeat until 4 ppm cycles to nitrates in 24 hours. Then do large water change to drop trates

Half the sponge then? Like chop it in 2?

Also, how do i know that it is at 4ppm? Could i just add a cube of mysis and cycle it that way?

Gboy66 said:
Half the sponge then? Like chop it in 2?

Also, how do i know that it is at 4ppm? Could i just add a cube of mysis and cycle it that way?

Half the sponge would work.

You test for ammonia to see it at 4ppm. A cube of mysis wouldn't do it. You might need a whole pack. Lol

You can get pure ammonia at a hardware store. Or throw a couple table shrimp in there

Jlsardina said:
Half the sponge would work.

You test for ammonia to see it at 4ppm. A cube of mysis wouldn't do it. You might need a whole pack. Lol

You can get pure ammonia at a hardware store. Or throw a couple table shrimp in there

Ok. So this means we will have to make 30 more gallons of sw!! Yay. Not. Hahah maybe we will buy it, it could be cheaper that way.

Im bummed nobody told us this sooner, we have lost alot of dang time...

Gboy66 said:
Ok. So this means we will have to make 30 more gallons of sw!! Yay. Not. Hahah maybe we will buy it, it could be cheaper that way.

Im bummed nobody told us this sooner, we have lost alot of dang time...

Sorry. At least you know before you lose everything you had in the 30 gallon

Jlsardina said:
Sorry. At least you know before you lose everything you had in the 30 gallon

It would have been possible, yes. Thanks again! I need to make/buy more water now

Tank is being filled! Dang, those back compartments take up alot of water. :D

Looks great so far! The protein skimmer takes a while to go work!

Attachments

• image-172434339.jpg
    image-172434339.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 97
i dont have a "filter" on my tank. no mechanical filter other than my sponge on the pump. you dont really need one. i would just add maybe some filter floss and replace it whenever you need to.

There are alot of sponges, and ceramic rings that are in the back chambers so i think were set!

Wait, you're running the skimmer while cycling? You'll just lengthen the cycle that way brother. But that is an incredible looking tank! Keep us updated on whats going on in it.

Sniperhank said:
Wait, you're running the skimmer while cycling? You'll just lengthen the cycle that way brother. But that is an incredible looking tank! Keep us updated on whats going on in it.

Haha no, it isnt cycling yet. We wanted to see if itd work! When will it start producing skim? We will def turn it off. Thanks tho, i would have forgotten!!

Thanks! It is really simple and easy. Updates will definitly come soon! I swear.,havent gotten a fish in like 2.5 months!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom