ODNO for 29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm fully aware of that. Going by the pics FMJ provided of his/her tank on this thread, I certainly would'nt call it a healthy planted tank. Its certainly not a tank that needs 2.5wpg, unless you want to grow tons of algae. There is'nt enough plants in the tank to consume Phos, Nitra or Amon. Therefore algae will.

Mojo Troll said:
I'm fully aware of that. Going by the pics FMJ provided of his/her tank on this thread, I certainly would'nt call it a healthy planted tank. Its certainly not a tank that needs 2.5wpg, unless you want to grow tons of algae. There is'nt enough plants in the tank to consume Phos, Nitra or Amon. Therefore algae will.

I think more dense planting should have been the advise given then...Not removing wanted and cared for pets.. JMHO though...

Mojo Troll said:

True, I don't have enough plants right now. You can't really say it's not "healthy" though... because on the contrary, it is.

Ammonia is 0 ppm
Nitrite is 0 ppm
Nitrate is 10-30 ppm (fluctuates, of course, but is usually closer to 15 ppm)
Phosphate is about 0.5 - 1.0 ppm
pH is 6.9
kH is 7
CO2 is ~26 ppm
gH is about 6

I'll be the first to admit that I don't have perfect numbers, but they are pretty much healthy. With enough TLC and tank management, I'm able to keep things balanced nicely. Until I can get everything planted, then I will continue to do this and test daily.

greenmagi said:
Mojo Troll said:

I think more dense planting should have been the advise given then...Not removing wanted and cared for pets.. JMHO though...

Facts are facts. If you want a goldfish tank, get reid of the 2.5 wpg light and put the Mickey Mouse lights back in that came with the tank. Otherwise your going to battle massive algae blooms.

If you want a planted tank. Do a lot of research and learn the importance on balancing a planted tank with correct lighting, nutients CO2 etc... If you do a tiny bit of research you'll see that goldfish are horrible in a planted tanks.

FMJnaX said:
Mojo Troll said:

True, I don't have enough plants right now. You can't really say it's not "healthy" though... because on the contrary, it is.

Ammonia is 0 ppm
Nitrite is 0 ppm
Nitrate is 10-30 ppm (fluctuates, of course, but is usually closer to 15 ppm)
Phosphate is about 0.5 - 1.0 ppm

pH is 6.9
kH is 7
CO2 is ~26 ppm
gH is about 6

I'll be the first to admit that I don't have perfect numbers, but they are pretty much healthy. With enough TLC and tank management, I'm able to keep things balanced nicely. Until I can get everything planted, then I will continue to do this and test daily.

FMJ,

I agree, those are good numbers for a planted tank. Personally I think your Nitra is high and out of balance with your Phos. Try to keep Phos to Nitra ratio at ten to one. Phos you generally want between .5 and 1. Nitra you want between 5 and 10.

You running one or two bottles of DIY CO2 to produce 26? at any rate very impressive for DIY CO2 on a 29gal.

With those numbers you need a lot more plants to consume the nutients.Get some cheap stem plans and just let them float. Otherwise your going to have a ton of algae with those those numbers and lighting. Just my opinion.

Mojo Troll...
I dont see were added phosphates cant be controlled with the regular dosing involved, when all of the planting is done, and ferts. are introduced.. And the research has been done.. thank you very much.. If you are going to weigh your phosphate compound and introduce it into the tank by using chuck's calculator you can pinpoint how much phosphate you will have.. and after doing this you can track how much is being consumed and adjust accordingly.. this is not a issue that can not be dealt with.. contrary to what you say is popular belief..

greenmagi said:
Mojo Troll...
I dont see were added phosphates cant be controlled with the regular dosing involved, when the planting is done, and ferts. are introduced.. And the research has been done.. thank you very much.. If you are going to weigh your phosphate compound and introduce it into the tank by using chuck's calculator you can pinpoint how much phosphate you will have.. and after doing this you can track how much is being consumed and adjust accordingly.. this is not a issue that can not be dealt with.. contrary to what you say is popular belief..

Best I can recall, FMJ hasnt stated that they have planted the tank yet. Therefore with a bare tank not having the amount of needed plants to use up the nutrients that FMJ just now posted, with that amount of lighting and CO2, a massive algae bloom is in the future.

Whats that saying? "Only time will tell?"

this thread isnt that detailed Mojo Troll.. this issue wasnt to be addressed by it actually.. but I guess you have to be more complete in your information or someone could get side-tracked easily.. I guess I could leave this for FMJnaX to answer.. but if you read the beginning of the thread it is an experiment in getting more light from ODNO... needing more plants and dosing was understood by the author from the other posts he has made..from what I could tell... JMHO though..

If I remember correctly. Did'nt the moderators of this site move this post to the planted section?

Who said anything about the tank being bare.. the reason it wasnt a thriving planted tank is because of the lack of light.. what do you want everyone to do.. start off with a magnificent planted tank without the needed light and CO2, then fertilizing when its needed? I think this is putting the chicken before the egg...

Mojo Troll said:
If I remember correctly. Did'nt the moderators of this site move this post to the planted section?

The moderators post when they move a thread here.. so no... This is were it started..

Perhaps you should reread this entire post. The original author FMJ has clearly posted pics of the tank. One dieing plant stuck to the filter intake, does'nt justify it as a planted tank.

With the pics and post the author has posted, it is obvious that the tank needs far more plants for the amount of lighting, nutrients, CO2 the author has provided. Its that simple. Other wise spot and hair algae are going to overtake the tank quickly.

greenmagi said:
Mojo Troll said:

I said something like this before..
"more dense planting should have been the advise given"
I think that would have been enough said.. that would have contolled the problems that your speaking of..

Can you point out one single tank here on Aquatic Gardeners Association that has goldfish in thier tanks? Heres a link....

http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/

Goldfish are cold blooded. Planted aquariums like tropical water temps. Do the research. Your in over your head.

edit...if you want to keep kois or goldfish in an aquatic planted aquascape. Build a small pond in your back yard and plant some water lillies.

What is this turning into? :lol:
Instead of commenting on eachother, give your piece of advice!!

I agree that the tank definetly needs some more plants. But the anachris should do a pretty good job at sucking up nitrates before the algae can...if you have enough.
FMJax, I would cut your anachris once it reaches top of the tank in half, and replant. If you have enough individual plants, they should grow like crazy and take care of most of your nitrates :wink:

I had some of it in a newly setup tank, and it was hard to tell when it got cycled, because the anachris did such a good job at sucking up the NO3

My bad! The temperature of this tank will be around 74-75 F when you get your fans going FMJax I dont see this as a problem.. :oops:

I had some of it in a newly setup tank, and it was hard to tell when it got cycled, because the anachris did such a good job at sucking up the NO3[/quote]

A newly planted tank will never cycle like a traditional unplanted tank. :roll:

Toirtis said:
Mojo Troll said:
Goldfish are cold blooded.

Now be fair, with a very few exceptions (sharks, tuna, etc) all fish are 'cold-blooded'. :wink:

OK Toirtis, you got me there :D

I was refereing to cold water fish such as goldfish, koi, carp etc... in a tropical plant environment with higher lighting, CO2 injection, higher ferts etc...

Good point none the less.

Mojo Troll said:

Nope. The thread was created in the Planted Tanks section, just where it sits now.

Mojo Troll said:
Perhaps you should reread this entire post. The original author FMJ has clearly posted pics of the tank. One dieing plant stuck to the filter intake, does'nt justify it as a planted tank.

With the pics and post the author has posted, it is obvious that the tank needs far more plants for the amount of lighting, nutrients, CO2 the author has provided. Its that simple. Other wise spot and hair algae are going to overtake the tank quickly.

Just because I post one or two pics doesn't mean that's my entire tank. The plant stuck to the intake wasn't dying. The lower part was past its prime, but the new growth was perfect. It was pruned and planted shortly after. I have about 24 plants of anacharis; either bunched, floating, or individually planted. I agree it needs more plants and isn't "planted", but it's still a work in progress. As I've already posted, my tank is doing fine. As long as I continue to manage it, I will NOT have a major algae outbreak that you keep hinting at.

Mojo Troll said:
Can you point out one single tank here on Aquatic Gardeners Association that has goldfish in thier tanks? Heres a link....

http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/

Goldfish are cold blooded. Planted aquariums like tropical water temps. Do the research. Your in over your head.

edit...if you want to keep kois or goldfish in an aquatic planted aquascape. Build a small pond in your back yard and plant some water lillies.

Just because nobody from the AGA has a goldie planted tank doesn't mean it can't be done. Haven't you seen that massive planted cichlid tank?!?!?!?!?! Perhaps I'm just as stubborn as he is.

I may be in over my head, but at least I'm accepting the challenge and I'm kicking it's rear end as well. I like to think that I've trained my goldies not to nip at plants. They're far from your stereotypical goldfish that you are refering to. Give them some time and a nice schedule that they like and they'll be oblivious to plants. I've done this in my pond as well. I've kept goldies for years (10+). I know how much they like plants, but after about 5 or 6 years, I learned how to keep them happy enough not to need to revert to plant supplements.

I do have a "pond" that is "planted" with goldies. It's doing just fine, thank you.

Billsgate said:
What is this turning into?
Instead of commenting on eachother, give your piece of advice!!

I agree that the tank definetly needs some more plants. But the anachris should do a pretty good job at sucking up nitrates before the algae can...if you have enough.
FMJax, I would cut your anachris once it reaches top of the tank in half, and replant. If you have enough individual plants, they should grow like crazy and take care of most of your nitrates

I had some of it in a newly setup tank, and it was hard to tell when it got cycled, because the anachris did such a good job at sucking up the NO3

Thanks Billsgate. I do have enough anacharis to suck up nitrate. Usually, by the end of the week, I'm at 10 ppm. That is when I do a PWC and remove 1/2 of the old plants. The PWC drops nitrate to under 5 ppm. It then jumps to about 20-30 by mid week and then begins to drop. Repeat... Perhaps this well I'll just remove anything that looks bad and see if my nitrate jump isn't as dramatic. My plants grow about 1/2 to 1" per day. I only let it get about 6-8" before I prune. I'll have to experiment with size.

greenmagi said:
My bad! The temperature of this tank will be around 74-75 F when you get your fans going FMJax I dont see this as a problem..

I suppose I should have updated the thread. I got a 120V to 12V converter and my fans are now at 100%. I still haven't bought the 50mm's, but tank temps are steady at 75F. Even during a hot day, it stays at 75F. Just because goldies are a cold water fish doesnt' mean they can't thrive at [sub]tropical temps. I've kept them up in to the 80F's when I was living in Texas. No sign of trouble as long as I kept the O2 levels up.

Mojo Troll said:

A newly planted tank will never cycle like a traditional unplanted tank.[/quote]

I don't remember saying my tank wasn't cycled, but whatever. It was cycled 100% before anacharis was added. It's a stable tank, as I've said at least 3 times now.

Mojo Troll said:
I was refereing to cold water fish such as goldfish, koi, carp etc... in a tropical plant environment with higher lighting, CO2 injection, higher ferts etc...

Good point none the less.

I've already made mention of this... here it is again. Just because goldies are a cold water fish doesnt' mean they can't thrive at [sub]tropical temps. I've kept them up in to the 80F's when I was living in Texas. No sign of trouble as long as I kept the O2 levels up. Goldfish are one of the most hardy species of aquarium fish (or at least in my experience it is). I've also kept them in my pond during freezing temps. They all survived next spring during the thaw. As long as you provide top filtration and O2, there's virtually nothing the goldie can't handle. This doesn't mean I would go and mix them with tropicals though. With higher temps, the chance for disease is higher. I've already fought that battle, but I'm clear now. This also goes to show that my tank is in good, healthy order.

So what is the point of all your ranting and raving Mojo Troll? I appreciate the advise and agree that I need more plants.... but that wasn't the topic of this thread. The point is that I'm on limited fund and wanted to try to overdrive my stock lighting without spending $100 on lighting and $200 on CO2. I spent less than 1/2 of that and got success (BTW, I'm using 3 bottles, all three with valves so that I can turn them on/off as needed. This is how I can keep my CO2 levels nice). I never said I needed help with my plants (not in this thread anyway). I also never said I had an algae problem. You've got this idea in your head that because I have minimal planting and goldfish that my tank won't succeed. Perhaps it won't succeed like the community tanks with high planting, but it will succeed in the fact that I'm happy with it. It's all just opinions so I can't really get upset with you. HOWEVER, you are trolling my thread so it will be dealt with accordingly. If you don't like what you read, then stay out. There's nothing stating that you HAVE to read every thread out there.

Back
Top Bottom