Oh the wonderful LFS in Calgary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SerLunchbox

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wondering if anyone can tell me of some fish stores to stay away from in Calgary. I have one that i generally stay away from already. I was just wondering if there were any other stores that i should stay away from. I am sure there is a lot in this city so i am not sure where to go at times to get some of the fish i crave for (all freshwater for now)

How about I do precisely the opposite....these are the stores that get 99% of my FW business:

Gold Aquariums
Riverfront Aquariums
Franco's Aquariums
Tanks Alot
Pisces Pets
Chums Aquariums
Petland Westhills

Generally, I stay away from virtually all the chain/franchise shops.

I love Tanks A Lot for cichlids! Gary is very knowledgable, but only works M-Th 12-9pm. I find Pisces and Riverfront hint and miss, although, I do shop Pisces because I can pick up all my animal care needs with 10% off. Stay away from Big Als.

I stay away from al's for my livestock. Their tanks, to me, don't look up to par except for those in the front room that are on display as if to say "your tank can look like this as well". Only thing i use al's for is their boxing day sales. But i am sure there are better deals out there. I used to go to al's for my livestock, but not anymore. In 90% of the fish i got from them, they died. and it wasn't my water. i test it all the time. Since stopping to buy fish from them, none have died except due to any fighting deaths. I just find it interesting. Then again, Al's is a bad choice but that is just my opinion especially after dealing with them.

is it really that bad? You know i signed up to get it and all that ... not to mention :reminders for new live stock arrival" and i never get anything from them. I really need to get a small quarantine tank going now ... i am kicking myself for giving my 10 gallon away ... i could have used that as a quarantine tank. you can all cyber smack me for that.

Funny you should say that. I haven't had great luck with the livestock I have purchased from Big Al's here in Toronto either. Jeff
Anyway, to keep this thread on target, I am going to start another about where people like to buy fishy stuff in Toronto. Jeff

The Big Al's stores in Canada are all franchises, and each can be very different...the one in Edmonton is actually pretty good when it comes to interesting dry goods and healthy livestock.

i will agree .. the edmonton one is awesome .... i can't say much for the livestock health as i haven't done that yet, but the store is so much better for dry goods etc.

Ok, now i have to ask, where is the best place to get tanks. I have a family member here in calgary that is looking to get a corner tank (100 gallon minimum) with most of the necessary items already included. I am going to suggest that they go to the march 13 auction but is there a store that anyone can recommend? It has to be a corner tank for them to be able to fit it into their house. Anyone that you know of that is looking to get rid of thiers let me know as well and i will let them know. My cousin and her husband are quite anxious to get a tank setup and cycling so they can get fish sometime in the new year.

For corner tanks...probably your best bets are Pisces or Big Al's.....and if you go Pisces, you can get them a 10% discount on the tank and equipment with your CAS membership.

Back
Top Bottom