Ok, don't yell at me...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
We were in the dreaded W--- and I saw this fish, and I bought it. I know it prefers brackish, and I think I can give him that if I can get my plec out of the 55. Oh and the hatchets. This was labled "dragon fish" its a dragon goby correct? Is dragon goby and violet goby the same?
Anyway, here are pics. He is SOOO cute!

He is cute! Hopefully you can give him those brackish conditions. I'm sure he will thrive and become a great addition to the family.

I like many types of 'oddball' fish but those are just too freaky looking for me. :|

Well, I put some blood worms in the tank last night and he gobbled them up, so I think that is a good sign. I am medicating the 20, so when that is all done, I am going to move the hatchets to there and put Mrs H. (my plec) back in with my betta. If I move her first, will the hatchets stand a little aquarium salt in the water?

That's a nice looking goby Meredith. Looks like it has good wieght. The ones I see are always very thin. Congrats on the pick up.

yippy! I was reading that they can be kept in groups. Is it better to do that or will he get to big to have more than one?

That guy is gonna get ENORMOUS! I've seen pictures of a 3ft long Violet Goby before. I'd just keep the one. Not sure too much about acceptable tankmates. You might want to check out the Brackish Forum @ Tropical Fish Forum... here's the link: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=119510 It's a very good brackish community.

I wouldn't add any salt to the water with your hatchets. Don't hatchets like slightly acidic freshwater? Brackish water is the opposite of that w/Alkaline PH and a vast range of salinity.

It's time to get a hydrometer if you don't already have one and make sure you get MARINE SALT and not aquarium salt. Marine Salt is the only salt that is acceptable for brackish water fish. I also recommend a sand substrate.

Welcome to the Brackish-Water Aquaria... it's the only kind of tank I keep.

Thanks :) I did pick up some marine salt and a hydrometer. I will check out that link.

I have two of these guys in a 75g planted tank. It says there brackish water, But most of the one's being sold today have never seen brackish condistion before. They've been born,bred,kept in freashwater condistins all there lifes. The only ones you'll find that hasn't been kept in freashwater is wild chought ones. Anles you buy it from a importer of oddball fish. Then it's been in freashwater all it's life.
I've had both of mine in freashwater for going on 2yrs. Now and they're right at 13 to14inches long now. There in a 75g with Apisto's borelli-bitti-orange flash-double red-trifascata, kribs 3prs.,3 x 8 to 10 inches Bala sharks, redflag dwarf cichlids, 10 female Betta's , 2 x 10inches royal plecos, 4 or 5 mollies.
They stay in hiding most of the day and comeout only 30mins before lights out. Right after the moon lights turn on for the evening. These guys are great,mine eat out of my hands and while even lay in the palum of my hand while they eat.

Nice VG, deffinitely give it BW. No matter what anyone says they will not "Thrive" in FW and will eventually grow red tumors all over their body including mouth which will keep them from eating thus resulting in death.

I have 3 in my BW tank, SG 1.008, they range from 6" to 12". If you don't see them eating then don't worry because they eat at night. They are a very cool fish to own. Here is a pic of my two larger VG's.

img_620729_0_5d640a290df6c95e45840d2d6554d853.jpg

img_620729_1_a37862111617039360a3915bd1a0b4ca.jpg

heheh nice to see you again mudfrog!

ANd it would be best to get rid of everything (move) out of the 55 and add sand and raise sg levels up very slowly until about 1.008. The tumor thing is true, my cousin has one and a month after getting it it developed a giant orange tumor inside it's mouth that hasn't gone away since. They may live in freshwater sometimes but they don't even close to thrive. THe ones i've seen in freshwater don't do good at all, most have torn fins that don't heal, tumors, messed up scales, and just sit here, while mine is in pretty good condition expect a few deformed fins after an "unfortunate" accident. It's in slight brackish water (1.003) because it has to be housed with other fish att he moment that aren't brackish, it eats during the day and even goes to the top to eat flake, bloodworms (frozen and freeze-dried), and a heck of a lot more.

ALong with the tumor thing there are two other symptoms that occasionally occur with fw kept DG's, one is liver failure, the second is a bad white skin slime..they usually die a few days after showing these symptoms.

If it's in the 55 you could even go with 2, or even three, but two would be best if you want more. They can also be kept with bumblebee gobies and brackish flounders. Dragon gobies do have the potential to get HUGE but most stop at about 14 inches or around that, the ones you see at 3 feet are usually in huge tanks they're whole lives and are fed a lot.

ANd yes dragon gobies and violet gobies are one in the same fish. You can tell it's a goby by it little "suction" cup fin on the bottom. All gobies posess this, more like two fins fused into one and they like to hook onto the glass or driftwood with it.

Good luck with it, and btw mudfrog..nice gobies again!

Wow, those are great pics! Unfortunately, mine is still in FW. I just have not had the time to switch over yet. He seems to be doing ok. He is eating, and he comes out every now and again at lights out. Everything living (other than the goby) will be out of the tank after this weekend and I can start rasing the salinity then.

Yes he is a Dragon Goby/Violet Goby, and a healthy looking one at that!

I do warn you they are very fussy eaters and I have found out when they in a community tank they dont seem to be able to get enough food whatever u put in the tank.

I reccomend (if you dont mind me saying) that you try to make the paste for him which I posted a link about on the freshwater general disscussion board, it is great stuff and they LOVE it. :D

Congrats on getting such a great fish.

Thanks I will check that out. It is only him and my pleco in the tank at the moment. And I have been feeding him blood worms and a brine shrimp mix that I have. I either use a turkey baster or one of those big injector things you can use for a turkey to release the food right at the mouth of his cave.

I moved the plec today and I am pulling out the plants as we speak. I am trying to figure out my hydrometer. Its the floating kind with a rolled up paper in the tube.

Ever nice! I've always known these to be called a South American Dragon. From my experience with them, they're tough to keep (this could only be me noticing this).

Back
Top Bottom