Okay! Time to stock!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GGIII

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Right. Well, I just got the MTS. No, not in my own home, but vicariously through my girlfriend who now is the proud owner of a 46G fresh.

She's taking my Black Ghost Knife and one of my Rainbow Sharks.

This leaves me with 1 Rainbow Shark and 1 Featherfin Cat in a 29G well planted.

So, I want some bright colorful fish that are gonna be fun to watch. I also need a centerpiece fish. I'd love something that will eat small snails but not larger ones as I will likely add some snails to do the cleanup work. Maybe some fish that stay small? Guppies? I've got too many choices here!

As for my girl, she has the centerpiece (BGK) and just needs some filler fish for that 46.

Ideas, anyone?

GGIII said:
wouldnt mix those two personally.
GGIII said:
This leaves me with 1 Rainbow Shark and 1 Featherfin Cat in a 29G well planted.
sharks get large. rainbows can get to 6" which makes your tank max at adult stage.
GGIII said:
So, I want some bright colorful fish that are gonna be fun to watch. I also need a centerpiece fish.
the rainbow will be your center by the time it gets to adult.
GGIII said:
Maybe some fish that stay small? Guppies? I've got too many choices here!
actually you dont have many. guppies would get harassed by the shark. similar cypris could possibly be put in with a shark but they are best suitied in a tank by themselves or a larger species tank.

you could also trade in the shark for something else, and get your bright colors. go for a mbuna tank.
GGIII said:
As for my girl, she has the centerpiece (BGK) and just needs some filler fish for that 46.
"filler" fish? knives are also best in a solo tank. they get LARGE. if you dont care if the bgk eats its tankmates while growing larger, go with neons or any small shoaling fish.

Ideas, anyone?[/quote]

go for a mbuna tank
I think a 29g is a little small for mbunas. Usually something in the neighborhood of 55g is best.

For your tank, I agree about the rainbow. It will get pretty big. I would go with some big bodied tetras or fast fish. I think some fast danios, black phantom tetras, or diamond tetras. Or even dwarf neon rainbowfish. Go with just one school of 6-8.

Your featherfin cat will reach about 6 inches also and with both being bottom fish, you could have problems. I'd seriously consider getting a bigger tank and researching before you add anymore fish. Planet catfish says Featherfins shouldn't be in a 3 foot tank or smaller. 29g tanks are exactly 3 foot. I'd go with a 55g so you won't have any problems with the 2 fish.

As for your G/Fs 46g, I'd leave the BGK by itself, or with the other rainbow. I've seen its profile on websites that say it gets anywhere from 16 inches to 20 inches, so the 46g won't be a good permanent home. One site mentioned minimum tanksize of 48 inches...which would be a 55g tank.

Please research before buying fish.

JustOneMore20 said:
go for a mbuna tank
I think a 29g is a little small for mbunas. Usually something in the neighborhood of 55g is best.

while bigger is almost always better (i could say a 75 is best, and so on), a 29g mbuna can be successful. providing plenty of rock caves/crevices and keep the stocking to about 6-8 would provide enough space.

GGIII said:
Right. Well, I just got the MTS. No, not in my own home, but vicariously through my girlfriend who now is the proud owner of a 46G fresh.

Ideas, anyone?

My major concern here is the 46G tank she just recieved. Is the tank FULLY cycled? Or was it bought new? If its fully cycled your fine, but if its new, or was drained and then refilled you need to get those fish back in your original tank and get that tank cycled. Take some filter media and gravel/sand from your tank and put it in the new tank.

As mentioned previously, the fish you currently have will max/outgrow your tanks, so I would not plan for anymore fish right now. If you want to try other fish find a place to donate/sell.

Back
Top Bottom