options for cohabitants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ramrebel

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a clown loach, an oto and a japanicus shrimp in with two plants

20 g is a lot of water for that crew - any reccomendations/suggestions as to what to add?

thanks

Well, the clown loach should have at least 3-4 other clown loaches, as they are a very social fish.
however, a 20gallon isn't very large, and in fact a small school of clowns will quickly need a 55 gallon tank, though 75+ is preferred as clowns will eventually hit 8-9" in length.

Sure, a trio of clowns and maybe 4-6 of the smaller variety of tetras. Another good choice may be some hatchets or white clouds--- something that prefers the upper area of the tank.

african butterfly fish are good top of the tank fish spending 98% of their time at the surface. they enjoy tall/surface plants.

in my 20 gal i keep, redeye tetras, cardinals, ottos (believe these guys like to be kept in numbers more than one, so maybe a few more of them? i've got 5) bolivian rams, bristlenose catfish, and will be getting some panda cory's soon :)

in my other tank i will be keeping tiger barbs

where does your otto hang out? Ive heard they like broad leafed plants... if you have any what species are they? - thanks :)

out of curiosity, what happpens when fish outgrow the tank

for instance, i put 10 2" loaches in a 20g ( i wouldn't do this now that I know better)

but what if?

imagine 10 x 8-9" clown loaches in your tank! ... if they could grow to full size, which they wouldnt, they would either die through water conditions, bigger fish = bigger poo and more of it or they would die because their insides would continue to grow while there outsides stop... kinda like gold fish in a bowl

Or you could look at it this way... 2" is about 4.5 times smaller than 9" so if your tank is 24" x 12" x 18" like mine is, it would kinda be like having 10 x 2" clown loaches in a 5" x 2.5" x 3" tank

where does your otto hang out? Ive heard they like broad leafed plants... if you have any what species are they? - thanks

have you ever been in a full elevator? imagine that...24/7..and the door never opens so the air gets stagnant.

given food and water, you'd live for a long time. but you'd be in poor health, and very unhappy.

ok, makes sense

i don't want unhealthy/unhappy fish

my oto likes to hang onto the amazon sword stem - i don't think he's actually eating it tho

i'm gonna try 2 more clowns and 2 more otos

do they really continue to grow internally only - that's freaky

i guess that's like me trying to get into my pre-holiday jeans on january 1

i guess that's like me trying to get into my pre-holiday jeans on january 1 - haha god do i know that feeling!! Yea i believe they do,

thanks, no they don't eat it, just the algae etc :) and im sure he will apreciate his new friends as will the clown loach :)

Back
Top Bottom