Oranda Wen Issue - Not sure if Normal Growth or Fungus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Using the prior filter media is risk if you do not know what happened to the fish. If they were healthy, no problem. If they all died of an unknown disease, I would be sterilizing everything.

In respect to the black mark, it just looks like a bit of slime coat damage and it will heal on its own. If it changes or spreads, please let us know! :)

Using the prior filter media is risk if you do not know what happened to the fish. If they were healthy, no problem. If they all died of an unknown disease, I would be sterilizing everything.

So I'd really like to reuse the ceramic bio rings in my 5 tray Cascade 1500, but am scared about potential negative impact. I've rinsed them, but don't know what to do from here. The man I purchased the filters from ensured me they were used on healthy Cichlids, but I don't want to take a chance. Should I bake them in the oven?

I do plan to use all current filter media from my crappy Emperor 400 in the Cascade 1500, but want to add bio balls & ceramic rings. I'm doing a WCS soon, so appreciate your help!!

Yes, baking should work (low heat @200f for awhile) as long as they dry out completely. You can also soak them in hydrogen peroxide prior to baking to ensure they are clean. I can not advise whether use them as is or to bake them- you will need to make this decision based on the information you have.

Back
Top Bottom