Oscar + Jack dempsy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fintique

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have a 3 inch Oscar in a 55 gallon right now. I'm getting a 100 gal soon. I know Oscars are fast growing fish and JD's are slower growing. I wanted to add a JD to the 100gal along with my Oscar. Now I don't want the Oscar to outgrow the JD and kill it.. I don't know if this is possible as I do know these types of fish do need territory and are aggressive.. my main question is , do I buy a larger JD or one the same size as my Oscar?

Smaller jack Dempsey. Not small enough that it'll end up lunch, but smaller than the oscar. Jack dempseys are typically more aggressive and territorial, having one that is raised being smaller than the oscar will help prevent the JD from becoming too dominant and aggressive.

Really though it's all just a toss up on the individual fish. Luckily for you, oscars and jack dempseys are kind of the softies of the large cichlid world so it's not like you're dealing with born killers.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Smaller jack Dempsey. Not small enough that it'll end up lunch, but smaller than the oscar. Jack dempseys are typically more aggressive and territorial, having one that is raised being smaller than the oscar will help prevent the JD from becoming too dominant and aggressive.

Really though it's all just a toss up on the individual fish. Luckily for you, oscars and jack dempseys are kind of the softies of the large cichlid world so it's not like you're dealing with born killers.

Thanks!! Yea that sounds about right. I'm going to give that a go. I wish JD were easier to come by here. The electric blue Ones, But online they are 80 bucks plus another 35 for next day air.. and then if it dies ... -_- lol.

Thanks!! Yea that sounds about right. I'm going to give that a go. I wish JD were easier to come by here. The electric blue Ones, But online they are 80 bucks plus another 35 for next day air.. and then if it dies ... -_- lol.

Which it probably would. They're too fragile, the normal JD looks better in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom