Oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, thanks for all the replies just overnight everyone! I think I'll be keeping an oscar, seeing as that seems to be the best option for me at the moment. I just ordered my two penguin 400s. Sometime I'll move my 20g and put my 55g onto the stand, brace the floor, and start work!

I have an 80g and my filtration is minimum 80-140 between to filtration systems I have two tiger oscars two Africans and two plecos one is 10inches and I have no problems with nitrate or ph or ammonia water is crystal clear like tap water

Your going to run into huge filtration problems too many fish tank is not big enough. I had 180g with two oscars two jacks and a 12 in gar... I was new to the hobby looking back I shouldn't have done that but I was running a swamp ( wet dry ) filter and a flavul 405 and still I needed a 50% weekly water change just to try and keep up. And keep in mind I had 100g more than you do. All the fish you have take a huge bio load ammonia and nitrites are crystal clear

Your going to run into huge filtration problems too many fish tank is not big enough. I had 180g with two oscars two jacks and a 12 in gar... I was new to the hobby looking back I shouldn't have done that but I was running a swamp ( wet dry ) filter and a flavul 405 and still I needed a 50% weekly water change just to try and keep up. And keep in mind I had 100g more than you do. All the fish you have take a huge bio load ammonia and nitrites are crystal clear

I thought for a second you were talking to me :lol: I was pretty sure that the filtration I am using was adequate.

I thought for a second you were talking to me :lol: I was pretty sure that the filtration I am using was adequate.

No your ok for 1 oscar in a 55g but think about it as he can't have any tanks mates as the tank is bearly big enough for him

When I test my tank no ammonia and my nitrates haven't gone over 30

You would be safe if all your fish were adults but I think your oscars needs to
Grow a little more and one of your placos is small so he will grow a lot meaning your bio load is increasing which is way I am saying your going to run into nitrites and ammonia problems later on but your already getting a nitrite reading

When I test my tank no ammonia and my nitrates haven't gone over 30

This may work for a few months while the fish are small but your setup will lead to fish suffering in the near future. No way around it. The space is too small and the water volume will not handle the bioload and you filtration is not enough. Even if you had more filtration your bioload will continue to grow, causing a battle against nitrates that you will not win.

Each one of my filtration systems moves 1000 litres an hour so 2000 litres an hour cycling the tank 6.6 times an hour I'm planning on upgrading to a bigger tank

HOB filters or canister? With large fish like messy oscars and plecos you want to turn over the the tank 10 or more times with HOB and 5 or more with a canister. If your using HOB get a decent canister and start using it now as well and it will be ready for your big tank with a few of the fish.

Hob filters two fluval C4 what would be a good canister to use ?

Think I would go with the fx6 didn't realize the canisters where so much

They can be expensive but they really work great on larger tanks with big fish. I have and FX5 filled with biomedia and an aquaclear 110 on my 125 with one oscar and some silver dollars. Works great only needs to be cleaned twice a year.

You still need to do the same amount of water changes... which you will want to do at least two 50% changes a week or more if nitrates rise fast. More filtration only changes the rate at which ammonia and nitrites get converted into nitrates which is then removed with water changes. You should read up on the nitrogen cycle. You seem to not have a firm grasp on the subject and it is the single most important thing for success in this hobby. By cleaning twice a year I meant the canister filter not the tank.

No I get it lol I do water changes every four to seven days of about 30% and I only rinse my filter media every few months and don't do both at once

I need to do 2 65-70% water changes a week on my 125 gallon to keep my nitrates low enough and that's just with my young wild caught oscar that is 7-8 inches and 10 silver dollars(which are low bioload each but the 10 together almost equal an oscar).

Back
Top Bottom