Oscars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldfishGuy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thinking about getting some oscars! Tell me everything I need to know please!!!!! ??

Check out oscarlovers.com! Excellent source if you're thinking about getting one. I LOVE mine :)

They are great fish! Each seems to have their own unique personality, my buddies acts like a dog lol. Be careful with stacking decorations (rocks, driftwood) as they knock everything over, and plants are generally a no. Other than that fantastic beautiful fish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Firstly, if you're keeping more than one, you'll need to keep an eye out for aggression! Even oscars raised together can eventually turn. I'd really say your best bit is to keep one singly, so as to prevent any future issues.

Tank size wise you'd be looking at 75G absolute minimum for a single oscar. They get about 30cm and need ample space to manouver.

They're also extremely messy-- you'll probably want a nice big canister filter to help keep on top of all the waste your oscar'll produce! They really are mess machines! Regular water changes are an absolute must with these guys!

Any equipment or decor should be totally oscar-proof. Make sure your heater has a good guard; they're curious creatures and like to investigate with their mouths. Decorations should be big and solid-- things like rocks, bogwood and any decor that can't be easily knocked over is advisable. Most owners find their oscars will push decorations around to their liking! :)

A tight fitting lid is also a good idea-- they're fantastic jumpers and have a lot of strength behind their leaps!

Ok!! What tank mates can I have with one Oscar in a 75 gallon?

No tank mates for an oscar in that size of tank, however the accepted minimum for a single oscar is recognized as a 55g.

They are wet pets, they recognize their owner and will hide from other people. They also have the hilarious (although scary at first) habit of playing dead when you first get them and anytime you make major changes to their tank. Ive never seen a fish soo excited to get food as my oscar is.

They are great fish with great personalities. I agree minimum for a happy Oscar is 75g. you can keep a pair of fire mouths with an Oscar in a 75. But I would not put anything else. They grow fast (about 1" per month) so don't bother with grow out tanks start with the 75.

Ok. Instead of Red Devils, would flower horns work? (Sorry if this Is a stupid question, I don't have experience with "monster fish")

I strongly suggest you not house anything other than a single Oscar in a 75g. Keeping clean water with an adult Oscar in that size tank will require bi weekly large water changes minimum.

My oscar and green sev grew up together in a 75g. I had driftwood in the tank and anachris. I ran 2 AC110s on the tank and was meticulous about water changes. Both in the 10" range in this pic. Great fish!

Attachments

• big guys.jpg
    big guys.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 81
When buying a young Oscar get the best coloured one you can find. The pattern and colour stay roughly the the same as they grow.
Fab fish, not had one for years because I like real plants and oscars love to rip them up. I used to hand feed mine, they can become very 'tame'.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ScottJudd, I've heard they bite? Is this true? Do they have teethe?

Do Oscars have teeth? Not in the real sense like piraña but they have a fairly sharp hardened lip line which is slightly jagged. They also have 'teeth' in their throats for crushing.
Having said that, if you hand feed Oscars from a young age they quickly learn that hands aren't food. When they are bigger I wouldn't tease them with food in case they mistakenly catch your hand.
I've only been bitten once and the Oscar seemed more scared than me.
Oscars are clever and I believe they recognise their owners so I wouldn't let a stranger hand feed. The Oscar may bite but will most likely hide away and play dead - one of their favourite and most alarming tricks.

Do Oscars have teeth? Not in the real sense like piraña but they have a fairly sharp hardened lip line which is slightly jagged. They also have 'teeth' in their throats for crushing.
Having said that, if you hand feed Oscars from a young age they quickly learn that hands aren't food. When they are bigger I wouldn't tease them with food in case they mistakenly catch your hand.
I've only been bitten once and the Oscar seemed more scared than me.
Oscars are clever and I believe they recognise their owners so I wouldn't let a stranger hand feed. The Oscar may bite but will most likely hide away and play dead - one of their favourite and most alarming tricks.

+1 itb always amazes me that I can hear my oscar grinding up the pellets that he eats.

Back
Top Bottom