otto food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 3 ottos in my 20g tank. When I first added them, they made quick work of the diatoms that were still on decorations and gravel in my tank. Now, just to make sure they're eating enough, I've been trying to supplement their algae-eating with other food.

I've put algae wafers in the tank, but they seem to mostly be picked at by the ghost shrimp (little greedy... eat your shrimp pellets and leave that alone, LOL). They could be eating it when I'm not looking I guess, but I can't be sure.

I put a zucchini slice on a veggie clip in the tank, and have seen the ottos sitting on it occasionally, but don't seem to be eating it all that much.

Anything else I should try? Perhaps there is a good way to prepare the zucchini which would make it more appealing to them? Truthfully, I didn't exactly blanch it; I nuked it until it was softer, then cooled it in cold water.

Ottos primarily eat algae. Many say that's all they'll eat. If you don't have algae in the tank, then you ought to consider growing it. You can grow algae on ornaments in glass jars, that way you can rotate them in and out as they are eaten.

I could swear I've seen others suggest feeding algae eaters, including ottos, blanched veggies like zucchini.

James_in_MN said:
I could swear I've seen others suggest feeding algae eaters, including ottos, blanched veggies like zucchini.

You have, and I have too. In truth, I've never heard that they WON'T eat anything else before.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

I have heard that from people who keep them. I have heard they will eat algae wafers and what not from people who don't keep them.

Lots of people make suggestions about fish they have no experience with - because they've read some profiles online. I, for example, don't have experience with them, which is why I didn't say one way or another - I mentioned what others have said.

I have a 30 gallon community tank with 3 otto's in it as well as 2 nerite snails. I feed everyone flakes daily, a few times a week I drop in algae wafers. It is a relatively new tank with hardly any algae in it. The oto's always have full belly's and are always happy surviving. I see them eating flake pieces and poop off the bottom of my tank.

I have to ottos in a 10 gallon tank. I have almost no algae, the only place I have algae is on my silk deco. My ottos bellies are always full. I've never seen them eat. I've had them for 6 months now. I always drop in an algae wafer every 3-4 days.

Sent from my iPhone

Hmm, maybe Otttos are something I should consider. I occasionally have an algae issue in my 20g tank, and there's algae all over the 2 plastic plants and one of the live plants. Looks like this fish doesn't get too big.

I'm not a snail fan. I've got a gold gourami, 5 red finned tetras, a tiger barb, and 3 cory catfish. They all seem to get along great, though someone occasionally nips the top fins of the Cories; I think it's the gourami.

I'm not a snail fan. I've got a gold gourami, 5 red finned tetras, a tiger barb, and 3 cory catfish. They all seem to get along great, though someone occasionally nips the top fins of the Cories; I think it's the gourami.

It's probably the tiger barb. IME they love nipping the dorsal fins of corys.

They certainly did the first day and a half. I haven't seen him anywhere near the Cories since the other 4 barbs died/were killed a few months ago, but that doesn't count him out.

It's probably the tiger barb. IME they love nipping the dorsal fins of corys.

Hmm, maybe Otttos are something I should consider. I occasionally have an algae issue in my 20g tank, and there's algae all over the 2 plastic plants and one of the live plants. Looks like this fish doesn't get too big.

How is it keeping just one tiger barb, do they do okay? I've always heard they need to be kept in schools, but if having just one works out well I wouldn't mind picking one up. Thanks

Long story short, I'm not keeping 1 on purpose. I got a school of about 3, they were pretty skittish and nippy; I increased that to 5 or 6. Within a space of 48 hours over Christmas all but 1 died/were killed. It looked like they were killed.

Anyway, they're a good looking fish and I didn't want to get rid of the last one, so I kept him and added a school of 5 red finned tetras. He kind of hangs out with them. He does not seem overly aggressive, at least when the lights are on. He eats well. It may help that there's another school to hang out with.

Of course, there's always the off chance you'll have the rogue oto that prefers to eat your fish.

But seriously, most otos will eat darn near anything. Our's love green beans, peas, zucchini, cucumbers, algae and especially nori (seaweed)

How is it keeping just one tiger barb, do they do okay? I've always heard they need to be kept in schools, but if having just one works out well I wouldn't mind picking one up. Thanks

It's terrible. Tiger barbs are schooling fish, and all schooling fish need a school. 3 is not a school, IMO, and IME at least 9 or 10 are needed to avoid issues within the school. Anyone who says it's fine to keep 1 or 2 have never kept them in a larger group - if they did they would never say such a thing. People's "success" doing so doesn't change that. Living and not causing problems does NOT equal success, unless that's your definition of success. Most fishkeepers feel that they owe their pets more than just keeping them alive.

My Otos don't get a chance with algae wafers, my guppies, corys, and blue tetras all scoff it before the otos even notice it's there! I tried feeding them courgette, and while I think they eat a little bit, most of it ends up in the guppies stomach. I had to stop doing that because the guppies were getting so fat :( now I grow algae on stones in a bowl on my window sill. I fill the bowl with tank water and a couple of fish flakes and I get loads of algae growing on them. I put that in the tank and within minutes the otos have cleared it :)

I have a 30 gallon community tank with 3 otto's in it as well as 2 nerite snails. I feed everyone flakes daily, a few times a week I drop in algae wafers. It is a relatively new tank with hardly any algae in it. The oto's always have full belly's and are always happy surviving. I see them eating flake pieces and poop off the bottom of my tank.

Hmm I can't imagine them eating poop unless they are starving. They should be added to a well established tank, many say at least 6 months. Maybe you should try growing them some algea like fishies86 does :)

Hmm I can't imagine them eating poop unless they are starving. They should be added to a well established tank, many say at least 6 months. Maybe you should try growing them some algea like fishies86 does :)

I agree 100%. Just because they eat something doesn't mean that it good for them, or that they wouldn't rather be eating something else. Ottos are certainly not poopivours.

Back
Top Bottom