Ottos!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Neither of the Otos have a round belly.., both have flat bellies... Hmmm... Does it take time to get chubby round bellies ??

ocminpin said:
Neither of the Otos have a round belly.., both have flat bellies... Hmmm... Does it take time to get chubby round bellies ??

I don't think so, could your mollies have eaten it during the night? :)

My Ottos have never had far round bellies :( I will give them some cucumber before I go to work this afternoon and see if it disappears by the time I get home! :)

They should pretty much always have fat bellies, not just after eating.

Be sure that if there IS any cucumber left, you remove it, it molds really quickly. Also, I leave the skin on. The fish are smart enough to just eat everything in the center and leave the outside alone. I do that, though, because I clip mine to the side of the tank.

LyndaB said:
They should pretty much always have fat bellies, not just after eating.

Be sure that if there IS any cucumber left, you remove it, it molds really quickly. Also, I leave the skin on. The fish are smart enough to just eat everything in the center and leave the outside alone. I do that, though, because I clip mine to the side of the tank.

How to I get these round bellies? Of the 3 only the one that died had round belly... :-(
I don't have a clip yet... I had to let sink to bottom..
Okay... Will leave skin on from now on :)

I used to grow algae in a bowl on a sunny window sill for my otos. Just fill a bowl with tank water, put in some aquarium stones, add a few flakes, put in full sun and within a few days you'll see a nice green covering on the stones :) my otos would strip it clean overnight :) really sad I don't have any anymore :(

Fishies86 said:
I used to grow algae in a bowl on a sunny window sill for my otos. Just fill a bowl with tank water, put in some aquarium stones, add a few flakes, put in full sun and within a few days you'll see a nice green covering on the stones :) my otos would strip it clean overnight :) really sad I don't have any anymore :(

Any stones? And just place them in the tank when there's algae covering them? Wont the algae spread in the tank?

New Otos may have parasites, I added some dog dewormer to my Shrimp tank to kill Planaria and my male Oto that looked super thin and was not active perked up and has thrived ever since. Maybe total coincidence ?? but happy it worked. No more Planaria and healthy Otos.

Keep an eye on your water chemistry as you've been doing. I change about 25% weekly, but I have a lot of plants.
My tank pics are on my profile page.

As far as breeding Planet Catfish has some successful Oto breeders that post their advice.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16816

http://www.otocinclus.com/breeding.html

Fishies86 said:

Hmm.. I've read about this. I wish I had a sunny spot. I'm on the bottom floor of a 3 story condo building... Have a balcony/patio but it's covered above...
The HOA is so strict you can't even put a pot on ledge..

Coursair said:
New Otos may have parasites, I added some dog dewormer to my Shrimp tank to kill Planaria and my male Oto that looked super thin and was not active perked up and has thrived ever since. Maybe total coincidence ?? but happy it worked. No more Planaria and healthy Otos.

Keep an eye on your water chemistry as you've been doing. I change about 25% weekly, but I have a lot of plants.
My tank pics are on my profile page.

As far as breeding Planet Catfish has some successful Oto breeders that post their advice.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16816

http://www.otocinclus.com/breeding.html

I'm glad these guys have been active since the first day... I have little trails on the front of the glass... Haha...
They appear friendly too. One was on the suction cup for the heater yesterday and I needed to pop the heater in... It wouldn't move as I came closer so I gently brushed my finger against it's tail and it only moved up the tiniest bit.. Had to touch it again to get it to clear the suction cup.. Haha.. He was like.. No not gonna move!

I change 50-75% of the water weekly...

Back
Top Bottom