Ottos!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aw I'm sorry about your Ottos, they are cute little fish. I'd love to get some for mine but I don't have diatoms and I'd be worried they'd starve to death.

librarygirl said:
Aw I'm sorry about your Ottos, they are cute little fish. I'd love to get some for mine but I don't have diatoms and I'd be worried they'd starve to death.

Thank you... :-( the thing is I never noticed diatoms going away... And I felt like I had to Overfeed their food to make sure they had enough... Mollies would eat their food..
Tank is "healthy" now... I'm doing a cleaning today and testing water... Will pick up 3 Otos tomorrow if all is well... Hope they're still $1 each!

Sorry for your loss.

How old is this tank? Since you've lost all of your otos (right?) maybe it's not established enough for them. Steady water params?

LyndaB said:
Sorry for your loss.

How old is this tank? Since you've lost all of your otos (right?) maybe it's not established enough for them. Steady water params?

6 mths old...
4 Otos in the last month...
Ph-- 8-8.2
Steady ammo & nitrite-- 0
Nitrate-- 10 (spiked to 40 other day)

Sorry about your little guy. :( Fish often scavenge the eyes first, but I know its disturbing to see.
I am sorry you are having such bad luck with these guys. I would think the tank would be established enough for them after 6 months. You do have to watch the nitrates while sensitive fish are getting established, but I am guessing your lfs just doesn't get hardy stock in. :(

absolutangel04 said:
Sorry about your little guy. :( Fish often scavenge the eyes first, but I know its disturbing to see.
I am sorry you are having such bad luck with these guys. I would think the tank would be established enough for them after 6 months. You do have to watch the nitrates while sensitive fish are getting established, but I am guessing your lfs just doesn't get hardy stock in. :(

It's Petsmart..

I see. Well, since you have had such poor luck, you may want to try getting them from somewhere else. I got some from PetSmart and they actually did fine. But others I have are actually tank bred ones from my lfs.

I did a really good cleaning with gravel vacc... It had been way too long... And so much waste came up... I was horrified and won't wait so long to do the gravel vacc... I was lazy and only doing the PWC of water only.

Ph- 7.4
Ammo- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 10

(holding breath) everyone looks really healthy and are quite happy... I'm contemplating getting a few Otos from a privately owned LFS not far away...

View attachment 79067

View attachment 79068

Glad to hear the other inhabitant are doing well. Yeah, there is a reason otos have the reputation for being sensitive! Lol. Hopefully you can have better luck with them if you got them from a different store.
I have forgotten what size your tank is (29?), but another option if otos don't work out for you, you can try pitbull plecos. They are roughly the same size as otos (a tad bigger), but tend to be a bit hardier.

absolutangel04 said:
Glad to hear the other inhabitant are doing well. Yeah, there is a reason otos have the reputation for being sensitive! Lol. Hopefully you can have better luck with them if you got them from a different store.
I have forgotten what size your tank is (29?), but another option if otos don't work out for you, you can try pitbull plecos. They are roughly the same size as otos (a tad bigger), but tend to be a bit hardier.

Yes, it's a 29...
6 female mollies, female betta...
How big do pitbull plecos get? Bioload?
I've upped my PWC to 50% 2xs a week to compensate for mollies... I don't have a problem doing more PWC OR getting higher filtration... Which is a good idea anyway.. I think my filter is only rated for 30g. And came as hand me down with tank...

ocminpin said:
Yes, it's a 29...
6 female mollies, female betta...
How big do pitbull plecos get? Bioload?
I've upped my PWC to 50% 2xs a week to compensate for mollies... I don't have a problem doing more PWC OR getting higher filtration... Which is a good idea anyway.. I think my filter is only rated for 30g. And came as hand me down with tank...

Plecos all have a pretty big bioload, though I never researched a pit bull one. Always liked the BNs the best, but they are wood muchers make a huge mess everywhere!

Starka said:
Plecos all have a pretty big bioload, though I never researched a pit bull one. Always liked the BNs the best, but they are wood muchers make a huge mess everywhere!

I'm going to research plecos... Only options for my tank size are......?
If I up filtration and PWC will it be okay with my mollies and betta?

ocminpin said:
I'm going to research plecos... Only options for my tank size are......?
If I up filtration and PWC will it be okay with my mollies and betta?

I have 1 50gal and 1 30gal filters, a ton of plants in my 26 with two ABNs everything is fine for me. They only get up to 4-5 inches max. I've noticed that most albino BNs stay around 3 inches.
Otherwise I'm not sure really, but if you don't mind the extra work and filtration you could get a BN. They are cute little buggers. :p
Other choices would be a rubbernose or a pit bull those stay rather small. But never really reasearched them.

Starka said:
I have 1 50gal and 1 30gal filters, a ton of plants in my 26 with two ABNs everything is fine for me. They only get up to 4-5 inches max. I've noticed that most albino BNs stay around 3 inches.
Otherwise I'm not sure really, but if you don't mind the extra work and filtration you could get a BN. They are cute little buggers. :p
Other choices would be a rubbernose or a pit bull those stay rather small. But never really reasearched them.

They can stay solo?

Wow I haven't been keeping track. Sorry you lost all your ottos! :(
My votes for BN plecos. I love my guys. I have 4! :) They can be kept solo. If you have a m/f pair you could have babies.

Back
Top Bottom