overfeeding betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm going to be out of town for exactly 7 days. I have a betta in a 1 gallon fish bowl. I was curious, should I buy one of those weekly feeders? It's those discs of food that supposedly last a week. But then I hear it's bad because it might gunk up the water. I already have automatic feeders for my 29 gal and 10 gal tanks, but just wondering about the fish bowl. I also hear that some people go a long time without feeding them at all, but I don't want to starve him. Please let me know. Thanks a lot in advance.

I feed my fish at least once a week. No more than 3 times a week. I have not noticed any harmful side effects of it, really it has helped my water more than anything.

I would think your betta would be fine for the week, just feed him once before you leave.

Yeah your beta is fine but if you really are worried give him to your neighbor, if possible. I did that when I was gone for a week or so. Worked out great!

I'd go with the not feeding at all over the vacation feeder things. Those have really foul binding materials that can seriously muck with the water chemistry. He should do fine as long as you feed before you go and feed right when you get home. Better solution is to have a neighbor feed him once or twice while you're gone, or use an automatic feeder.

Back
Top Bottom