Overstocked the tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Em29uk

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I have a 5g tank with 1 Molly, 1 make guppy, 6 shrimps, 3 neon tetras and 2 snails, is this too much for the tank I have or can I add more fish? I've added some last week n they died :( filter gets dirty very quickly too I'm doing a 25% water change every day , thanks

My best guess based on other threads I've read by you, your tank isn't cycled.
Did you ever get the liquid test kit?
If you got the test kit, what are your results for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?
If you still don't have the test kit, you're just going to have people tell you to get it (again).

What kind of filter do you have?

Your tank is quite overstocked as it is. You cannot fit any more fish. If you had more than this list and your tank isn't cycled that is likely why they died.

My best guess based on other threads I've read by you, your tank isn't cycled. Did you ever get the liquid test kit? If you got the test kit, what are your results for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? If you still don't have the test kit, you're just going to have people tell you to get it (again). What kind of filter do you have? Your tank is quite overstocked as it is. You cannot fit any more fish. If you had more than this list and your tank isn't cycled that is likely why they died.

It's been about 8 or 9 weeks since I got the tank surely it's cycled by now?
I still don't have the liquid test kit sadly :( but then again if ammonia levels n nitrates are high I am doing daily water changes to correct it.
My black Molly is just hovering at the top of the tank n not swimming now :(

It's been about 8 or 9 weeks since I got the tank surely it's cycled by now? I still don't have the liquid test kit sadly :( but then again if ammonia levels n nitrates are high I am doing daily water changes to correct it. My black Molly is just hovering at the top of the tank n not swimming now :(

Here's the pic of my tank :)

Attachments

• image-2708439876.jpg
    image-2708439876.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 88
id honestly have maybe one guppy and the shrimp the rest will be better off in a bigger tank at least 20gal

Too small. There is a very small footprint in that tank. No room to swim.

That is way to small and very overstocked just the molly alone leaves you overstocked. Here is what aqadvisor says. I also didn't add in the snails because I don't know what kind they are. AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor
Warning: Molly is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 2.4 inches.
Warning: Guppy is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 2 inches.
Warning: Neon Tetra is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 1.5 inches.
Warning: At least 5 x Neon Tetra are recommended in a group.

Recommended temperature range: 20 - 28 C. [SIZE=-1][Display in Farenheit][/SIZE]
Recommended pH range: 7 - 7.5.
Recommended hardness range: 11 - 15 dH.

Recommended water change schedule: 33% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 229%.
Your tank is seriously overstocked. Unless this setup is temporary, you should consider a larger tank

Hi I have a 5g tank with 1 Molly, 1 make guppy, 6 shrimps, 3 neon tetras and 2 snails, is this too much for the tank I have or can I add more fish? I've added some last week n they died :( filter gets dirty very quickly too I'm doing a 25% water change every day , thanks
I have read somewhere a molly shouldnt be housed in less than 30 gallons. Your tank is also very over stocked if we pretend a molly could go in a 10! Upgrade the tank, filtration, and next time make sure your tank is cycled.

That is way to small and very overstocked just the molly alone leaves you overstocked. Here is what aqadvisor says. I also didn't add in the snails because I don't know what kind they are. AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor
Warning: Molly is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 2.4 inches.
Warning: Guppy is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 2 inches.
Warning: Neon Tetra is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 1.5 inches.
Warning: At least 5 x Neon Tetra are recommended in a group.

Recommended temperature range: 20 - 28 C. [SIZE=-1][Display in Farenheit][/SIZE]
Recommended pH range: 7 - 7.5.
Recommended hardness range: 11 - 15 dH.

Recommended water change schedule: 33% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 229%.
Your tank is seriously overstocked. Unless this setup is temporary, you should consider a larger tank
seriously listen to this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Back
Top Bottom