Overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco11771

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I decided to keep the 5 Tiger barbs after a trip to the lfs today and saw 2 juvenile tiger barbs in with 3 rainbow sharks! And saved them and there was no bullying when I finished the drip and put them in the tank! Yay! Anyway I also picked up a Male Golden wonder killifish which I've always wanted since they are so cool, my lid is fully sealed so no escape problems should insue. It is a 20 gallon tall with 7 TBs, 4 corys, 1 golden wonder killifish and 1 albino bristle nose pleco. What I want to know is if I can get 1 more GWK female so they can be a pair because. I heard they are happier in pairs and 1 more Cory?

Last edited by a moderator:
I do know that rainbow sharks should not be housed together and just one is way too big for a 20 gallon.

Juvenile whats? And still don't know what kind if fish you are talking about. Did you get the 3 rainbow sharks?

Maybe try writing a list of all the fish that are in your tank and spelling out the whole names. People will be more likely to respond if they understand what you have in your tank.

Pleco11771 said:
So I decided to keep the 5 TBs after a trip to the lfs today and say 2 Nubia in with 3 rainbow sharks! And saved them and there was no bullying when I finished the drip and put them in the tank! Yay! Anyway I also picked up a Male Golden wonder killifish which I've always wanted since their so cool, my lid is fully sealed so no escape. It is a 20 gallon tall with 7 TBs, 4 corys, 1 golden wonder killifish and 1 albino bristle nose pleco. What I want to know is if I can get 1 more GWK female so they can be a pair because I heard they are happier in pairs and 1 more Cory?

7 TBs ( what's a tb?)
4 Cory's
1 golden wonder killifish
1 albino bristle nose pleco
Can he get one more killifish and Cory.

Oh, he meant he saw 2 juvenile tiger barbs with 3 rainbow sharks at his LFS. I don't think he's planning on buying rainbow sharks for his tank.

I said I meant to say juvenile instead of nubia, as in juvenile tiger barbs to add to my school of 5. The 2 juveniles were in a tank with three rainbow sharks.

NoMoreGoldFish said:
Oh, he meant he saw 2 juvenile tiger barbs with 3 rainbow sharks at his LFS. I don't think he's planning on buying rainbow sharks for his tank.

Yes he saved 2 juvenile tiger barbs that were in with the 3 rainbow sharks

You could probably get a couple more corys and a killifish without a problem if your tank is cycled.

Okay so after the clear up lol.
I believe tiger barbs need a much larger tank than 20 gallons, they are also known to be fin nippers and aggressive.
You could get the other killifish and Cory but something would have to be done about the tiger barbs.

Okay so after the clear up lol.
I believe tiger barbs need a much larger tank than 20 gallons, they are also known to be fin nippers and aggressive.
You could get the other killifish and Cory but something would have to be done about the tiger barbs.

They need swimming space but they have a pretty good amount in my tank soo all I was wondering if it'd be over stocked with another killifish and Cory

Pleco11771 said:
They need swimming space but they have a pretty good amount in my tank soo all I was wondering if it'd be over stocked with another killifish and Cory

Well in that case, yes you would be overstocked IMO.

So I decided to keep the 5 TBs after a trip to the lfs today and say 2 Nubia in with 3 rainbow sharks! And saved them and there was no bullying when I finished the drip and put them in the tank! Yay! Anyway I also picked up a Male Golden wonder killifish which I've always wanted since their so cool, my lid is fully sealed so no escape. It is a 20 gallon tall with 7 TBs, 4 corys, 1 golden wonder killifish and 1 albino bristle nose pleco. What I want to know is if I can get 1 more GWK female so they can be a pair because I heard they are happier in pairs and 1 more Cory?

I consider 29 gals the minimum tank size for BN plecos, GW killies, and many species of cories such as sterbai, albino, and emerald. I think 40 gals should be about the minimum for tiger barbs. I think all in all you have the tank stocked with fish that aren't really suitable for it.

I had my cories in there and they get along so well that they don't care about the tank size. I have heard many mixed stories about the BN pleco and being that it's a female albino it should only get about 3.5-4 inches. The GWK is heard to be a minimum of ten gallons but I would never do that plus I have heard of them being in 15 gallons. Just what I've heard. the barbs I have seen in 15-20 gallons a lot but I do hear you on the swimming space. I don't really have any other options and if I take them back they will be in a tank with 3 rainbows and I will have 5 tiger barbs left because I got them elsewhere.

Pleco11771 said:
I had my cories in there and they get along well. They don't care about the tank size. lol. I have heard many mixed stories about the BN pleco and being that it's a female albino it should only get about 3.5-4 inches. The GWK is heard to be a minimum of ten gallons but I would never do that. I have heard of them being in 15 gallons. Just what I've heard. The barbs I have seen in 15-20 gallons alot but I do hear you on the swimming space. I don't really have any other options and if I take them back they will be in a tank with 3 rainbows. I will have 5 tiger barbs left because I got them elsewhere.

Sorry couldn't help myself. I'm tired and it hurts my eyes.

I highly doubt the cories "don't care".

Golden wonders get huge..they easily hit 4" with a nice thick body and massive bio-load. A tank of 20 gallons that's about 23" long isn't suitable for any fish this large IMO.

The BN pleco is not as big of a deal as the barbs and killies, IMO. I think you could keep the pleco in there, but I don't think it's right to keep the killies and barbs in there.

I'm really not trying to be harsh here. Only trying to help. :)

Thanks for fixing that up Mumma.

I agree with everyone else. Your tank is too small for the fish you have. Take it or leave it, but I think you've gotten the info you were asking for, it just seems like you're refusing to want to listen to it.

Good luck.

I wish people would warn me of these things when I post before I get more tiger barbs. I asked what to do with the school of 5 and people said to get more and it'd be fine but whatever it's my fault truly I just don't know what I'm gonna do with these fish

Back
Top Bottom