Overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LdIZzY

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 6 gallon bookshelf model and was wondering if it's overstocked...

3 blood fin tetra
3 harlequin rasbora
1 Cory cat
1 betta

And possibly an Oto once it's more established.

Then a planted 10 gallon...

6 pink danios
3 neon black tetras
2 Cory cats
1 angel ram
1 betta
1 Oto

Cory cat is not specific enough lol ethers are hundreds of Cory species, and not every one behaves the same. In any case, a 6 gallon is too small for Corys as they tend to prefer to stay in groups (at least 4). C. hasborous may be the only readily available species small enough for that tank, and that's a MAY not a definite. Otos also prefer groups and can be tricky in small tanks, so I'd say no to putting one in a 6 gallon and to get your current one at least a single buddy ;)

I have two 5 gallon tanks and each one houses a single betta. personally yes I think both of your tanks are overstocked. How do your nitrate levels run?

My personal opinion is that you should remove everything but the betta from the 6 gallon. And pick one small school fish to keep in the 10 gallon with the betta and maybe 3 oto's. By small school I mean a schooling fish group of 6 that stays small (around 1 inch)

My reasons are as follows:
I don't know a lot about individual tetra species but I know some can get bigger than others and are active and thrive better in schools of 6 or more. Also cories depending on the species can get 2-3" and thrive better in schools. Oto's likewise do better when you have at least 3 or more and I feel oto's should be in at least a 10 gallon.

I don't know what a pink danio is, but danio's in general are super active and I feel they need a tank of at least 20 gallons .

what is an "angel ram"?

I'm assuming an"angel ram" is a ballon body German blue ram. Rams need a minimum of 20 gallons

With my 10 gallon, everything is fine. It's been a year and everything seems fine except the other Oto disappeared. I replaced it with another but then that went missing as well.

My 6 gallon, I guess I'm jus gonna have to wait and see what happens.

Thanks everyone for your input!!!!

With my 10 gallon, everything is fine. It's been a year and everything seems fine except the other Oto disappeared. I replaced it with another but then that went missing as well.

My 6 gallon, I guess I'm jus gonna have to wait and see what happens.

Thanks everyone for your input!!!!

what do you mean by 'everything is fine'?
What are your current tested levels of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? one way to know that you are overstocked is your nitrates will exceedingly high. A way to combat this is frequent water changes.

I have a 55 gallon that can be argued that it is overstocked. However you have to consider the swimming area of the fish and their activity levels also. A lot of your fish are extremely active and need to be in larger schools.

for example, my 55 gallon is a planted tank which helps but I still have to stay on top of my water changes. Also more swimming area for more active fish.

"everything is fine" as in everything is fine. I do a 25% water change every week and have my water tested at LFS (block away from my house) and they say that my water is "fine". As far as swimming space goes... they have been living like that for a year now without any nipping, just some innocent chasing around, so I guess that means, "everything is fine"??

Back
Top Bottom