overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovecatfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys. I have a 2ft long 20gallon. I want to have, a leporinus arcus, 6black neons, 6 rummy nose and 6Cory cats, is that overstocked? Because I heard that tetras don't have a high bioload and after researching about tetras, I see that it's actually okay to not follow the 1inch per gallon rule since they don't have large bioloads and left over food will be cory cleaned. Thanks for your help!

What is a leporinus arcus?

With the 2 varieties of tetras and the cories you are at 93%. I don't know what that first fish is

Oh, that I tried, I dun know how to fill in some stuff the other time I tried it. Well practically Iam slightly over stocked, does an extra filter help at all? (Immature) filter I have zeolite that has been reseted

Oh, that I tried, I dun know how to fill in some stuff the other time I tried it. Well practically Iam slightly over stocked, does an extra filter help at all? (Immature) filter I have zeolite that has been reseted
The only thing you have to fill in is the "Dimension" pulldown, just pick 20 high. Don't need to fill in any other spots. Then just add fish to your list.

It is the same family as tetras. Actually it requires 55 gal, but it lived in my friends 10gal then in my 10gal now in my 20gal, he lives alone and used to it. He looks and behaves like a shark, defending its territory. I think it's happy despite the tank size. This fish an omnivore, eats worms from me and an occasional flake and spirulina treat. His currently 7cm

3 months. When search striped barb. Its exactly like a striped barb but it also look like a leproinus... my friend said the shop labeled it leporinus arcus.

About your question whether more filtration will help.

Several things:

1)More filters will only make your water cleaner, if the filtration you already have is inadequate. The filters will only grow as much beneficial bacteria as matches the amount of waste the fish produce, so more filters don't necessarily mean more beneficial bacteria.

The amount of nitrates that build up in a week will still be the same amount, regardless of the amount of filtration. Bigger filters might clean the water faster - but after a certain point that wont make much difference.

2) Overstocking is not just about water quality, but about territory. I could lock an entire family of people in a cupboard, and pipe in clean air, and provide a lavatory for them all to use. Perfectly hygienic, right? They will all be fine in there, not so? Everybody can breathe, nobody is exposed to toxic waste -- what more can these people possibly want? They can even live in there for several years, as long as they get enough food...

Sounds bad, not so? Fish are the same. There is a difference between surviving, and thriving, and different fish need different amounts of space. Some fish get aggressive when kept in too small a space. Some just have stunted lives. They can't tell us how they feel, so it's up to us to research what these fish need for long, happy, healthy lives.

+1^ Masha

Ugh. That shop needs to be yelled at. That looks to be a monster fish unsuitable for 97% of normal people's aquariums.

Shops don't give the proper name for most of their fishes and the employees don't know anything. Don't blame them, blame myself. My filter is turning over 9times right now. Its an internal filter that's meant for a 35gal and above, I should do fine right? I do water changes very frequently like every 2 days a 15% change since I have sand and I need to stir it up to prevent any gas blockage

2) Overstocking is not just about water quality, but about territory. I could lock an entire family of people in a cupboard, and pipe in clean air, and provide a lavatory for them all to use. Perfectly hygienic, right? They will all be fine in there, not so? Everybody can breathe, nobody is exposed to toxic waste -- what more can these people possibly want? They can even live in there for several years, as long as they get enough food...

Sounds bad, not so? Fish are the same. There is a difference between surviving, and thriving, and different fish need different amounts of space. Some fish get aggressive when kept in too small a space. Some just have stunted lives. They can't tell us how they feel, so it's up to us to research what these fish need for long, happy, healthy lives.

I really really love what you said here :cool:

Shops don't give the proper name for most of their fishes and the employees don't know anything. Don't blame them, blame myself. My filter is turning over 9times right now. Its an internal filter that's meant for a 35gal and above, I should do fine right? I do water changes very frequently like every 2 days a 15% change since I have sand and I need to stir it up to prevent any gas blockage
I'm glad to hear you have good tank maintenance!! (y)

This is not my current tank. My current tank has 6 neon blacks, 4Cory, 2Guppy and leporinus arcus. Lets say I remove leporinus, what can I replace him with? His shark like swimming is amazing and how he scavenged for food is breathtaking. Any fish out there that acts like that and is not a chiclid? I hate chiclids.

Either way both fish should be in schools. Iam positive it's not a leporinus now because I saw leporinus is really fat and rounded. But mine is streamlined. Shokld be the barb...

Back
Top Bottom