overstocking......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darby

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hypothetical.... If you had an overstocked tank, and you were willing to keep up on frequent WC, would it affect cycling or the bacteria colony? Would you be able to maintain a healthy tank?

yes to healthy tank... do pwc if ammonia is .20-25 ppm when cycling to keep it lower than that..until ammonia and nitrites read 0 and you have nitrates... a lot of african cichlid tanks are slightly overstocked

I dont think it makes much difference on the bacteria colony, the more fish in the tank the more bacteria will build up and eat the ammonia. So an over stocked fish tank that is being up keeped with frequent water changes wil have no affect on the bacteria colony.
But there is a fine line between over stocked and stocked fully. For example my 10 gal has 2 Bronze corys, 3 Kuhlis and 8 Neons. Some people will say my tank is over stocked, but i do frequent water changes and keep up with the demand of these fish. I personally think this tank may be a bit under stocked because the fish mentioned are not large and are mostly bottom dwellers. So i have room for more Top to middle strata swimming fish. For example a molly or guppy.
Now a 10gal that has a few Bala sharks around 2" is overstocked. Because they have a heavy bio load and will get bigger and require a much larger tank than a 10 gal. Even if the owner were to perfrom frequent water changes they still would have to re home the fish because they couldnt live in a 10 gal tank.
Do i make sense?

Just keep up on the pwc and you will have to test more often. More poop and decaying food mean that if you let things go you are at a greater chance for mini-cycles.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

You may be able to maintain good water quality in an overstocked tank by doing a lot of PWCs, but I wouldn't call it a healthy tank. If the fish are crowded, they can be susceptible to illness due to stress.

Number of fish. I don't have an overstocked tank, nor do I plan on having one. I'm just curious.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom