Oxygen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

farma

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All.
How do I know if there is enough Oxygen in the tank.
I have DIY CO2
6 Foot 250 Litre tank with 5 neons and a little catfish thingy albino.
I have a XP3 canister filter with the outlet at gravel level at the other end of the tank.
The reason I ask is the fish go to the top for what looks like a gulp of air?
so how can I know if there is enough Oxygen.
Also I just did a 1/3 pwc.
Thanks
Farma

The key factor in oxygen is the surface agitation and what is near the surface. If you have a glass top and no surface agitation you can have low O2 levels that are bad for the fish/plants. During the day you might not notice this since the plants will be producing O2, but at night, both the plants and the fish will be consuming O2.

You can purchase inexpensively an air pump that is set on a timer to go on at night and increase the O2 levels. You can also purchase a PH or turn your output from the canister upward so it makes ripples at the surface.

If you have a tightly sealed glass top you can prop the opening up slightly to allow gas exchange with the room.

Let us know your setup and specifically when you see the fish near the surface and we can help.

Thanks for the reply.
I have taken the glass lids of the tank.
I have a DIY rainwater outlet but was told that the bobbles are not good for plants as in Co2.
and have read that putting bubbles in at night depleated Co2 levels. What To Do???
I will get a Powerhead and just change the Co2 inline to an O2 Inline at night.
Any help and advice is great thanks.
Farma

What kind of fish do you have ,my Dwarf Gourami will do that , being Labrynth fish they can breathe air through their Labrynth organ( they "kiss" the surface and sometime make a bubles as the come back down)

I'm not sure but don't cats have to gulp air to fill their swin bladder

Yes corys do go to the surface for air I have then in my tank as well they do the same thing. I have diy co2 and I use and air stone in the tank at night on a timer. When the lights go off the air stone turns on. Its working great the plants and fish are healthy and happy.

Thanks Guys.
I have a hose on the venturi of me Co2 difuser powerhead. , I just put the hose out in the air when I turn the lights off and put it under water when the loghts go on.
It seems to work.
Farma

Back
Top Bottom