Painting My Tank Black

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KingMaddog

Aquarium Advice Activist
While trying to put my background on tonight I had a fit of rage when I couldn't get it tucked into the frame and tore it. I just decided to paint it black. I am going with black sand for substrate so figured black would be the way to go. Plus I'm going with bright colored fish so I want them to "pop" in the tank. Would I need special paint for glass? Do I need primer? How many coats do I need? Do I get a gallon and roll it on or can I use spray paint? I have a 29 gallon tank.

Flat black spray from any dept store. No primer or else what you'll see is the color of the primer, I like spraying mine while I cover it well so no paint goes inside the tank.

Spray paint is not a possibility, I have decided to go with a sponge roller and a flat black latex exterior paint. I'm just worried that with a roller there may be an area by the frame that doesn't get painted. If any one has experience with a roller, how do you make it to where there are no cracks at the top of your tank where the glass meets the frame? I plan on starting this project tomorrow.

Masking tape. That's what it's for. I've never painted a tank before, but I did use to paint glass windows for advertising. I used foam sponge brushes. Alot more precision and control than a roller... it may take longer and you'll burn through alot of them (because they loose their tip after awhile), but as the paint in one section dries you can blot over other areas (blotting will reduce the likeliness of streaks) then come back and do multiple coats to thicken it up. That's what I would do anyway.

Value-Pack 10-Pc Foam Paint Brush Set - Wood Handles - Amazon.com

And you should test your method on something else first, just in case there are streaks or airbubbles, you want to iron out the kinks first.

Spray paint is not a possibility, I have decided to go with a sponge roller and a flat black latex exterior paint. I'm just worried that with a roller there may be an area by the frame that doesn't get painted. If any one has experience with a roller, how do you make it to where there are no cracks at the top of your tank where the glass meets the frame? I plan on starting this project tomorrow.

To get into those corners use a brush.

To get into those corners use a brush.
A cheap sponge roller and masking tape will do the job. You may need 3-5 coats. Using the aquarium lights, you will see any patches you missed. Tip, in between coats, put the roller in a plastic bag. It will stop it drying out....

The little sponge brushes that LudicrouSpeed linked should be good to get up under the frame, then just roll the rest out right?

Have fun! I used acrylic paint and painted it on using a regular ol' paintbrush. It was on a 10 gallon, so it didn't take that long to do. I think I only ended up having to do 2-3 coats. I'd love to see the progress of it! :)

Have fun! I used acrylic paint and painted it on using a regular ol' paintbrush. It was on a 10 gallon, so it didn't take that long to do. I think I only ended up having to do 2-3 coats. I'd love to see the progress of it! :)

I will take pics and post. I think I will have to start a new thread or have it moved though. I already have it taped and ready for paint. Going to Home Depot tomorrow morning to get paint and supplies.

Painting the tank is fine, buy may i suggest white sand if you are painting the background black this is my personal opinion and im not meaning to step on any toes but i feel you may not like the tank looking so dark with all the black

My tank is painted black and I have black substrate. But the tank is 270l, very heavily planted and a lot of small tetras. The look pleases me but if I had a more open plan design then I would consider lighter substrate. I suppose it's down to the effect that you're trying to achieve.
Good luck with the paint job and I really can't see any problems with contaminating the water. Just ventilate well and keep paint and water apart!

Yes, post pictures. I personally prefer flat black, I think it looks more natural than anything with a shine. The paint job is a lot simpler than it sounds, good luck!

Just left Home Depot with paint. I really want to start this but I have more errands to run. I will post pics.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Already up and running around? So early! Well, in my neck of the woods! Excited to see how it goes!

Already up and running around? So early! Well, in my neck of the woods! Excited to see how it goes!

Yeah, I'm in Florida. Was up at 6 a.m. with the kids, so I decided to get an early start to my day.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Don't paint the tank it will seep through the glass and it's dangerous for the fish.

Really? Then explain to me why I haven't lost any fish from the 5 tanks that I have painted back glass on? Because you know... You said it seeps through the glass right?

The only danger to the fish would be if you were to spray paint the tank while it was full or got paint into the tank and didn't notice prior to set up.

Back
Top Bottom