Panda family photo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep. Thats what I'd be doing. It's a real bummer you can't pinpoint the source. Hopefully whatever it is starts to decline so you can get things back to normal.
I'd be frustrated too, hang in there though;)

Baby Cory

My baby Cory is still very much alive, in spite of being deformed. No doubt his parents were siblings. Sigh. This brings up the scary thought of what to do when he is an adult. Isolate him from his kind?

Sigh.

Attachments

• image-3558518111.jpg
    image-3558518111.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 56
Magicmarymac said:
Baby Cory

My baby Cory is still very much alive, in spite of being deformed. No doubt his parents were siblings. Sigh. This brings up the scary thought of what to do when he is an adult. Isolate him from his kind?

Sigh.

What kind of Cory is it? Not the albino the baby. I like its color.

What kind of Cory is it? Not the albino the baby. I like its color.

There are only the five albino cory in the tank. He is normal colored. In fact the albino in the photo is the one of the five adult albino cory with the abnormal spine shape. I suspect that all of the albino babies were eaten first because they had no camouflage, just as in the wild.

Awwww bless,whats wrong with him ?

Well, several years ago I bought all five when they were babies, from the same place. They were probably siblings. Now they had a baby. That's close inbreeding. When I noticed how crooked the spine is on this little one I examined the others closely. Sure enough, one of the five also has a crooked spine, just not as noticeable.

So if I leave this one in with his parents & aunts & uncles and they breed…

Obviously, he gets around very well to have survived so long! And he is probably going to be just fine at this size…if he stays away from trouble. In this case I think the biggest threat are the loaches as the Cory don't bother him now. I believe it was the Gourami (that I rehomed) that got the rest.

Well, several years ago I bought all five when they were babies, from the same place. They were probably siblings. Now they had a baby. That's close inbreeding. When I noticed how crooked the spine is on this little one I examined the others closely. Sure enough, one of the five also has a crooked spine, just not as noticeable.

So if I leave this one in with his parents & aunts & uncles and they breed…

Obviously, he gets around very well to have survived so long! And he is probably going to be just fine at this size…if he stays away from trouble. In this case I think the biggest threat are the loaches as the Cory don't bother him now. I believe it was the Gourami (that I rehomed) that got the rest.

Oh i see what you mean awww bless him though eh !!!

Yes, but how many of us think of that when we buy more than one from the same tank. Think…guppies, mollies, etc.

Well yes if you had a tank full of males n females and they breed and the babies grow up in that tank and left there well its a full on in breeding thats for sure !!!!
Same can be said with lots of animals really

Back
Top Bottom