Panther Grouper Sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin Polap

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I've noticed that my panther grouper has been hiding alot lately, today he came out and i saw that his scales look kinda ruffed up like he's been scratching himself on rocks, is this a sign of ich or is this something else i should be worried about, please get back to me with whatever you have, don't want to see him die :(

Hi, I've noticed that my panther grouper has been hiding alot lately, today he came out and i saw that his scales look kinda ruffed up like he's been scratching himself on rocks, is this a sign of ich or is this something else i should be worried about, please get back to me with whatever you have, don't want to see him die :(

I don't have the answer, but this link may help or point you in the right direction.
Are your Fish 'scratching' on rocks and decorations? - Aquaria Central

my firefish goby hid in the rocks for a few days and came out looking pretty roughed up as well, just make sure his water is clean and he's eating right

Thanks for the tip, hes eating just fine, i think im just gonna do a good water change and see where it goes from there

What are your water test results? Are you seeing any white spots that look like salt sprinkles?

Do you mean like salt sprinkles on the glass or fish?
I've noticed things that look like salt sprinkles on my glass but not the fish, im in the process of doing the tests and i will post them soon

Melosu58 my ph is below 8.0 is this I big concern? How can I raise it to the appropriate range? Ammonia level is good, nitrate level is high, nitrite is fine, I think I just need to perform a major water change

Can you post the results of your test?

I've been told that as low as 7.8 should be ok, I had my puffer in the 7.8ish range for over a month while doing hypo with no issues.

From my reading, usually gasping for air means water parameter problems, mostly ammonia.

My ph level is a bit low, nitrate is way too high, everything else is perfect, I'm gonna perform a water change, hope its not parasites on the gills or anything, I don't know how to get rid of those :/

Yeah I would start with a 30%+ water change and test again, might be the nitrate making the fish gasp. How big is the tank?

For parasites usually the fish will be on the bottom of the tank gasping for air. Most information I have read says that gasping at the top = bad water parameters. So in this case it could be the nitrate depending on how high it is.

I'm new to this as well so take everything I'm saying as such, but I have done a lot of reading.

Its about 50 gallons, gonna upgrade soon just want to clear this up first, thanks for your help, I will post any further news on my fish after my water change :)

50 gallon will be too small for a panther grouper :(

How long has the fish been in there?

Oh I know trust me, he's small right now but not for long but I am upgrading very very soon, after the water change he isn't gasping but he is still scratching on rocks, really hoping its just ich which I have medicine for and not something else :(

Back
Top Bottom