Parasite question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ukdans1k

Aquarium Advice Freak
Firstly sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place, I couldn't find a place for illnesses!???

Ok my mother-inlaw called me thismorning, With a problem on her 120 litre community tank.

She obtained a few mollies about a week or so ago two pure white the other we thought was a sol nation variety white with black spots. This morning the dolmation was looking poorly so was removed to a hospital tank. Unfortunately it died. On inspection it appear to have a small worm type thing hanging off the back, and when a finger was rub along the fish the black dots rubbed of as such????

So I've been online and can't seem to find anything that this might be, or if it's really serious, and how to treat it. All the other fish seem fine and aquarium salt has been added to help possible treat this, along with a 25% water change.

Any ideas?

I don't believe this is a parasitic issue. The wormlike object you saw was most likely a strand of eh... poo. Typically you see a strand like that when your fish is constipated. As to why, it may have been overeating. Do any of the other fish have problems? How often are they fed? How much food is put in the tank?

By the way, I believe a moderator needs to move this question to "Freshwater and Brackish - Unhealthy Fish".

The black things that came off were probably scales. I don't believe the salt is necessary, but it won't hurt. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think mollies are brackish fish anyway.

43Gallons said:
The black things that came off were probably scales. I don't believe the salt is necessary, but it won't hurt. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think mollies are brackish fish anyway.

No mollies are not brackish water. Also the worm was moving so unlikely to be poo????

It sounds like some type of worm (flat, tape, fuke, etc) but without a pic, it is a bit difficult to ID exactly what it is. Im not sure what country you reside in- some are very strict when it comes to fish meds & prescriptions are necessary for treatment.

Back
Top Bottom