Patching a Hole in a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

My friend gave me a 2m long tank, and its got a hole, 5cm diameter, drilled at the bottom of the tank at either end.

I'm just wondering if I could silicon a peice of glass over it and would that be enough? the glass is about 1cm thick.

Regards
Daid

You would want to match the thickness of the bottom glass if you did that and make sure the piece you are putting over it is on the inside of the tank so the weight of the water holds it in place.

The hole was probably originally for a bulk head if you wanted to put a sump in there. I don't know if this is fresh or salt but a sump can be really handy for both. You may want to consider buying a bulk head and then just putting a PVC end cap in there. That way if you decided to put in a sump later or sell the tank you can easily open up the hole again.

I agree with Pat8you. Go with the bulkhead + PVC cap route. If you decide you want a sump in the future for a reef or whatever it will be much easier on you. If you patch it now, you'll kick yourself in the future.

If you decide to silicone a piece of glass/acrylic over it though, be sure to also run a bead around the perimeter of the patch. Patch goes on the inside too, so the water pressure will help hold it in place.

Cool,

thanks for the replys. I'll try to get some pictures when I get home. Its already got an overflow sump thing, which I'll be using, but its also got another hole on the other side of the overflow.

Cheers

I didnt have a chance to read what the above post said but i had the same problem and i found a solution. Just cap it off with pvc using silicone or liquid cement.

Okay, heres the photos

100730_220939.jpg 100730_221022.jpg

I still haven't taken the glue off yet. Hope someone knows what the 2nd hole is for or how to use it :)

Typicly the one inside the overflow box is going to be your return line (to the sump) and the one outside will be your pressure line (away from the sump)

So.. do i connect a pump in the sump and does the water just gush out from that hole? or would i connect another pipe? sorry. I haven't used this setup before.

I was just thinking of just patching the hole and use the over flow into the sump below and have a spray bar as a return.

No most people will connect a lenth of PVC on the inside of the tank that runs up to around the top of the water level. Then you can use lock line to adjust the flow where you want it in the tank.

For the overflow inside the box most people use a durso stand pipe. It helps adjust your flow and keeps the tank from making so much rushing water noise.

Using the holes to connect to your sump will be much better then an overflow box. They can be a pain to adjust and can cause some problems. If the holes are already drilled i would use them.

So.. do i connect a pump in the sump and does the water just gush out from that hole? or would i connect another pipe? sorry. I haven't used this setup before.

I was just thinking of just patching the hole and use the over flow into the sump below and have a spray bar as a return.

Try going to your LFS. They're pretty much guarenteed to have something with that setup and be able to show you how to do it. Just take the photo with you if you can.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom