Pepermint or Scarlet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Z

zacdl

I hear scarlets are fish-cleaners, but what about pepermint shrimps?

Peppermints are cleaners but mine isn't overly active in that duty. He's more shy and prefers dark caves to the front view. My skunk cleaners are the coolest animals. They're very friendly and sociable. They spend a lot of time out front. If you have an aptasia problem then the peppermint is the best choice but otherwise my vote is for the skunk.

My peppermints clean like crazy! I cant stick my hand in the tank anymore with out getting a full arm manacure from the little buggers.

I have heard that the larger the peppermint, the less they clean.

I've never had a peppermint shrimp do more than hide under the rocks til feeding time. They do come out at night for a bit as well. My scarlets are always on the move out and about. They jump on anything that comes by, snails, fish, or hands.

My peppermints actually clean my arm every time it's in the tank. They are more social than most others I have heard of. Based on appearance though, i love the skunk cleaners.

hmmm sounds like it is just a personality thing and it will vary, maybe I could get one of each....

hmmm sounds like it is just a personality thing and it will vary, maybe I could get one of each....
That is good plan, or a couple of each. My skunk cleaners are always out in the open, but my peppermints are always hiding under the rocks.

I love my skunk cleaner shrimp. When I had three atleast two were always pregnant(?)=free live food every 2-3 weeks. They would clean my tang as well. Tons of personality. I like lando's suggestion, a couple of each (space permitting).

Back
Top Bottom