Peppered cories spawning behavior...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have had three peppered cories for the last two-three months. They are in my 10g tank with my male betta and they get along just fine. The cories will mainly hang out together, but lately I have noticed an "odd man out" situation where one of them is by themselves sometimes while the other two are off doing what I think is a spawning ritual. Not sure though so if anyone here has had their peppered cories spawn let me know.....My two swim very close together and it's like one of them keeps nudging the other one with its nose and at the same time they do this their body vibrates. It is really funny and interesting to watch....if this isn't spawning type behavior, what could it be? I know the odd man out isn't out because something is wrong with him/her...they seem fine and healthy.....just too many cooks in the kitchen if you know what I mean. I really don't think my tank would be conducive to spawning. I have read that conditions have to be perfect temp wise and water change wise. I do change about 20-30% of their water once a week and the temp stays at 78 (sometimes around 79) in the tank. Any ideas?

I've never witnessed it myself, I thought two of my 4 peppers were doing it but they were just playing. I've read that they usually form the infamous "T position" and they vibrate. Like I said, I've never seen it myself but it sure sounds like it to me.

Usually you can trigger spawning by doing a PWC and lowering the temperature of the tank slightly.

In the beginning of the video below is what they call the T position, it is a classic sign of spawning.

Albino Cory Spawning - Channel: truthseeker-zone on LiveVideo.com

Hope it helps :)

Well, I did do about a 30% water change on Sunday and the temp stays a pretty steady 78 degrees in their tank. Thanks for the link....it was kinda out of focus but I think it resembles very much how mine are acting....

Yeah that wasn't the best video I've seen but in the first few seconds it showed the T position. There are some other great videos on Youtube and such that are a lot better quality.

Gotta love the internet, you can find anything. :)

Looks like my peppered cories might be doing the same thing...have you seen eggs and/or have they hatched? I seem to have eggs now and I'm wondering how to proceed.

I have the same setup as you.

Well, I picked up a net enclosure on the way home today but it seems that either the eggs were non-viable or I was too slow to act. The ones on the glass are gone and all I can really see are what appears to be the remnants of broken eggs in the sand with no fry to be found. I checked my filter but couldn't find any sign. =(

Peppered cories are supposedly one of the easiest cories to breed so I wouldn't doubt if they are preparing to spawn. I've heard about the "T" position with cories and it sounds like you may see eggs in a short time.

Back
Top Bottom