Petco live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
have any of you purchased and/or used live rock from petco?

what are your thoughts on it? is it quality, or a wast of $$?

I've looked at it before but never purchased any of it nor do I know anyone that has. I would be a little weary of buying LR from petco. There are other sources with better rock. Just my opinion.

Our local PetCo actually has someone working the tanks that knows what they're doing. My opinion, it's place to place. I've actually seen some horrible settings and LR. I would look at the condition of the fish in the tanks then make an educated decision.

If you are talking about the Petco Fiji Aquacultured live rock, I brought this up a while ago. Anthony Calfo had a bunch of slides showing these facilities. Fiji Aquacultured LR is made by blowing up the reef, harvesting the calcium carbonate, taking it to the cement plant, which they build virtually on shore, and creating the donut shaped rock.
In Fiji, there is a limit on the amount of actual lr that can be harvested, but there is no limit on how much reef can be blown up to harvest calcium carbonate.

Back
Top Bottom