Phos-X by Hagen - is it safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cginflorida

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just read a post about an algae problem, and someone suggested Phos-X and said it was safe. Anybody else use this?

I have a big algae problem in my 75 gal and was going to get a pleco, but I have 3 clown loach fry in my QT and can't put anything else in there until they're big enough to move to the 75.

The fry are growing nicely. How long till they start to look like loaches? They're a few weeks old. :D

The best way to get rid of algae is by using an algae magnet, scrubbing it off with filter brushes, or buying a pleco. Chemicals should always be a last resort and should not be used often. It is recommended that when purchasing fish you should put them in a QT tank for a week or so to make sure they don't infect your tank with diseases, but I've never done this and haven't had any disease outbreaks. It might be because I'm lucky or the lfs sells only healthy fish. If you don't want to risk it, you could try putting your fry in a breeder net in the QT or 75 gal tank and adding a pleco in the QT tank.

I use the phos-x in my tanks. Seems to work, my tests say 0 phospates, however phos is not the only cause of algae and I still have that.

CAE's , ottos, and algae eating shrimp are infinatly better than a pleco for cleaning algae.......

and algae isnt bad for a tank nescisarily..... have you ever seen a pond, or lake that exists without any algae?

Back
Top Bottom