Phosphate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeborahJane

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a slight covering of brown algae on the back of my 110litre community tank. I read that this could be caused by high phosphate in some fish foods, how do i reduce the phosphate levels..I dont over feed and do regular pwc and I dont have an overstocked tank.

Just clean your tank. Scrape the inside of the glass, maybe some of the rocks and such in the tank. Let everything settle a bit, then give the substrate a good vacuuming.

If you can't get the algae to go away like that then you can get a phosphate adsorber. I think fluval makes one you replace every 2 months. It kinda looks like a moss ball in the tank. I don't know much about them, never had to use, them but I saw it in a lfs.

IMO, I would just clean the tank and see if that worked before putting anything in the tank.

It happens in my 240 every now and again (probably less than annually i reckon it had to do with seasons and where my tank is), just like CJonline says i get rid off it by scraping the glass then cleaning the substrate. I've only used a phosphate remover once in about 5 years and that was probably my fault at the end of the day for not paying enough attention to my tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom