phytoplankton culture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

makana

Aquarium Advice Activist
i got Isochrysis and Tetraselmis sp. from the marine lab and began my culture AGAIN. last few times it wiped itself out i prefume due to lack of nutrients in the water coulumn.
this time i added some liquid fertilizer and the cutlure is exploding with growth! its only been 48 hrs since i started it!
anyway, my question is: is it safe to add the phyto to my reefs considering the added nutrients to the phyto water. or should i harves the culture 3/4 of the way and refill it, let it grow out, and then feed....
what your opinions?

i added a bunch of the tetraselmis to the 29g reef. no adverse effects noticed as of yet. i refilled the culture bottle with plain (no added nutes) sterile saltwater.
sterilizing your saltwater for phyto culture is easy!
just use glass bottles - i use quart size canning jars. fill them with saltwater. put the jars, one at a time, in the microwave for a good 10 minutes or so. watch it while its in the micro to avoid fire:).
then put a piece of foil over the top and let it cool somewhere out of reach of others. the hard part is not burning yourself removing the jars from the microwave. wait a good 24 hours and add the starter culture. put a piece of hollow glass rod attatched to airline attatched to an air pump to circulate the culture. for lighting, i use a 13w daylight flouro thats on 24 hrs a day. my cultures are explosive! :)

HTH any one starting a culture....

Back
Top Bottom