Picasso trigger looking sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdefino

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a few triggers (picasso, blue throat, niger) in with a lionfish. For about a week or 2 I've been noticing that the picasso isn't looking so well. His eyes are cloudy and his corlor has faded. when I feed them, he looks like he can't see well at all. Has trouble finding the food and he mostl stays in his hole.

His eyes are cloudy and look like there is another layer bubbling out. Water has tested fine, temp is 82 salt level 1.23 and the other fish looks great.

Any ideas what might be going on.

thanks for anyhelp

Please define "fine" as far as water chemistry. A little more info as far as how long you have had it, whether there have been new additions etc. Tank size still the 75? Are you seeing aggression?

Cloudy eyes are usually the sign of a bacterial situation, usually secondary to another problem.

I would definately consider moving him to a hospital tank. Temps a little on the high side, but not out of normal for summer and I would probably not consider that. Also, since you keep your salt on the low side, are you using a swingarm or refractometer?

Tank is still a 75gal. No additions to the tank. No aggression. I'll run another water test and get back.

Thanks

Lets move this to an appropiate forum where you will get more attention. Hope all goes well

I'm using a refractor. I don't have a hospital tank. What's the best way to set one up quickly.

Just like setting up a normal tank. You need:

the tank...size dependent on the size of the fish.
water movement...I like using power filters. Cheap and you can put media in them.
thermometer
pvc...for the fish to hide
heater

The tank has to be cycled. This is why I keep a sponge in my sump. You may try biospira (sp?) though I have never used it.

Could I slowy build a small one with water from my exsiting system?

Could I slowy build a small one with water from my exsiting system?

Yes, leave it plain, no LR, sand, only PVC big or small enough fot the fish to hide and feel safe. You can possibly use the water from you main, seed it with a sponsge/bio wheel/bioballs, from you main. I believe this will speed up the process and you won't have to cycle your tank. Some one please correct me if I am wrong, I think you should be up and running in about 24 hours (doing it this way)....?

I do not have any bioballs to use. But I can get a bio filter. Now you say use a "sponsge", do you mean sponge? If so, how and where do I get one.

Thanks

Yeah, sponsge means sponge without using spell checl, sorry.
From your info:
2 aguaclear 500's 1 with Foam and bio, 1 with foam

Are these two filters? I would think you can use the "bio" (wheel), to help seed your QT....

I should update my sig. I don't use the aquaclears any more. But I still have them to use on the QT.

Well, I picked up a 10 gal tank and I'm going to setup a QT. I have a 2 aquaclear filers, I'll use one with sponge and the other with some Biomax Biological ceramic media, a heater and something for the trigger to hide in.

Can I use the water from my exsiting tank so it cycles faster? I would like to get the trigger out of there ASAP. Or should I use new water and let it cycle.

If I use new water, how should I cycle it?

Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom