Picasso Triggerfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Freak

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone... Me and my mom kind of share this user and she has posted some questions about her 56g tank in the other forums but this is a different person here with a different tank... Ihave a quastion I'm converting my 90g into a FOWLR and want a Picasso Trigger and MAYBE some other fish. I was wondering if larger Clownfish, Tangs, and maybe some other fish would work with a Picasso any other info on them or suggestions would be great!
TIA

I wanted a picasso and was basically told I can't have any other fish with it :(

they get really big almost 1' and will eat anything smaller.. they'll kill inverts.. etc.

you could keep it possibly with a niger trigger, or another large fish, but I hear they poke out lion fish eyes

Aquarium Freak said:
I was wondering if larger Clownfish, Tangs, and maybe some other fish would work with a Picasso any other info on them or suggestions would be great!
TIA

I never had one, or any experience with any. But we have a bar/restaurant close to my house where they have a nice 150gal tank with a tomato clown, 2 angels and a nice big picasso. I been there alot over the years, and they all get along and the guy had them for a while. He has no inverts thought!!

I love those fish. I think you might be able to get away with 2 (mated pair) yellow striped maroon clownfish, they are pretty tough little guys. My LFS has a Niger and Picasso in the same tank as a very large engineer goby. They have been in the same tank for a few months. Keep in mind, you should have your LR well seated, they like to move it. I also agree, inverts are probably out of the question.
I would wait for other people's expereinces/opinions.

at one point i had a picasso trigger in my 55gal with a dwarf fuzzy lion and a snowflake eel. I had absolutely no problems. also, i had some larger hermit crabs for a cleanup crew and a big green serpent star. he'd nip at the star's legs when he'd get hungry but other than that i had no problems with cleanup inverts.

i have a picasso also or "huma huma" its about 4 inches big now and it never bothered my clown fish or any other tang...it would however, grab my hermit crabs by its mouth and toss them around from one place to another...other than that, its fine with everthing else...it also takes in sand in its mouth and spread it all over my rocks.......weird......

Rhinecanthus aculeatus are pretty easy going when it comes to personality, but have the potential to reach 10"+. Other possible tankmates include clownfish (P. biaculeatus), puffers, tangs, tuskfish, larger wrasses, etc. Iffy runner-up: dottybacks (sm. size, lrg attitude)

In my previous tank setup, before an ice storm took all of them out along with everyone else in town, I had a picasso. With what I had at the time it did fine. Black volitan, several bigger dwarf angels, niger, and a tang or two. Did fine all together. The Niger and Blue Tang would even shack up together in a cave at night(wonder what was going on there, they were surely confused, or very open minded).
However, when the lion "invaded" the picassos territory he would try to run the volitan away, but the volitan just tilted into a defensive manner and the picasso changed its mind(he was smaller than the lion). Now inverts may be another story, I could not have any. Anything with a shell, both triggers would rip them to shreds, especially crawdads if the lion did not beat them to it first.

OT.
That lion was awesome, never seen a fish swim upside down before, and always wanted to come rub up against me. Never let him get that close, I'm not that brave.

Back
Top Bottom