Pico Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My LFS advised me to not use anything. They said that the live rock, live sand and saltwater that I got from them would be enough. I didn't want to use a shrimp either because my girlfriend would not be happy with a smelly apartment. I do have some food I use for my hermit crabs (not saltwater hermit crabs). Should I use that?

Thanks Convict! You are a guru!

My LFS advised me to not use anything. They said that the live rock, live sand and saltwater that I got from them would be enough. I didn't want to use a shrimp either because my girlfriend would not be happy with a smelly apartment. I do have some food I use for my hermit crabs (not saltwater hermit crabs). Should I use that?

Thanks Convict! You are a guru!

Your welcome. You can add fish flakes, pellets etc. It will decay and cause ammonia in the tank.

Well they're not quite "fish flakes" but I think it'll be the same!

And thanks Jenn! I really appreciate both of your advice!

I also have a par38 on my nano.
I bought it from ocreef, actually convict showed me the link.
The thing is very strong. If you placed it hight enough you could get enough spread and still have enough light to keep softies and some Lps.

Well my tank has been clearing up well today! I got home from school and aquascaped. I also realized I have about a dozen feather dusters... I think! Here's a picture!

I have the temperature set for 81. Unfortunately, the heater I bought was too large to set up vertically. It's ok though, because I bought this one in case I upgraded! Which I will as soon as I can!

I've literally been staring at my tank for a few hours already haha. This is addicting! I'm constantly looking for hitchhikers!

Attachments

• image-1350337791.jpg
    image-1350337791.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 125
  • image-1846428679.jpg
    image-1846428679.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 120
The tank is looking great! For the filter, I would rinse the media in old tank water as Jen suggested because you aren't able to have a lot of rock in a tank that small, so you'll want to preserve as much bacteria as possible to prevent a mini cycle. If you use tap, the chemicals in it will kill your BB.
Good luck and keep us posted on your cycle progress!! :)

Very nice! I like that long branch rock you have. And yes, those are feather dusters. I have a bunch in my tank. The best I can tell from online research is that mine are cluster dusters. Yours look just like mine. Expect them to form a nice little colony! :)

So today I am going to test with my API. I am reading the manual and it says I need to take 5ml in each test tube. In my 5 gallon tank, isn't that going to make big changes in my salinity?

Also, I found a starfish in my tank this morning! I couldn't take a picture but as soon as I find the little guy again, I'll be sure to post!

So today I am going to test with my API. I am reading the manual and it says I need to take 5ml in each test tube. In my 5 gallon tank, isn't that going to make big changes in my salinity?

Also, I found a starfish in my tank this morning! I couldn't take a picture but as soon as I find the little guy again, I'll be sure to post!

It won't mess with the salinity. It would only lower your water level. It's really such a small amount though. Just make sure you shake the bottles really good. Especially the second nitrate bottle. Shake that one really really good for about a whole minute.

That's cool you found a starfish! Can you describe what it looked like? I have seen an asterina starfish and a tiny brittle starfish in my tank.

I think I actually have two asterinas! The first one I saw definitely had 5 arms and this one only has 3. They blend in so well though so I don't know where the 5 arm guy went!

Here it is in the center, little brown guy with white edges.

Attachments

• image-2856690123.jpg
    image-2856690123.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 140
Question: I'm 2 days into my cycle and I haven't checked parameters. I just opened my API master kit and realized I bought the reef master kit and not the standard one..... My LFS said it would take a week before they could get it. I like keeping my business with them.. But can I get away with not testing for a week or more in the first stages of cycling??

Oh and yes you can go a week or more easily In the beginning.
I uasually don't test until about the 3rd week anyways.

The reef master kit only covers nitrate, calcium, alkalinity, and Phosphate :(

It would be beneficial to me if I had a bigger tank since I'm going reef anyways..... But I saw a post by Mr.X saying that calcium and Phos is mostly controlled by water changes. So I just don't think I need it right now.

Btw! I believe I found a brittle starfish as well! It hasn't come all the way out of the rock but I can see the long arms!

One suggestion on spec v.. My bro has same one as nano..to slow evap.. If you know of a glass cutting shop get a piece to fit over access hole on top..he put little feet on the glass for easy removal.. Still will b evap but not as bad without and will also keep dust etc from entering tank ....:)

I remember you saying that before! Would you happen to have a picture of his set-up?

So to clarify, he just had a piece of glass cut to cover the whole top? Does it have any place for the wires to come out?

i was looking at buying the same tank. how much flow does the filter out out? i am curious if it is sufficient or if a small powerhead will be needed.

Back
Top Bottom